This One Pot Turmeric Tuna Rice with Chipotle Crema is a delicious and quick way to feed a crowd. It’s packed with flavour and full of good things like Turmeric and herbs and served with egg to fill them up with protein. It’s topped with irresistible chipotle cream.
Do you like Tuna…. from a can I mean?
I eat it a lot. It’s great with a salad for lunch but when I was a teenager we pretty much ate it every weekend. We had a favourite Saturday dish, and we took turns cooking it. I don’t know why we always made that particular dish but as a parent, I now understand it better. Mum, busy with a job and 4 daughters, probably just didn’t want to change her route around the supermarket. And kids will do the same thing over and over again without changing if you let them.
It was a rice dish that included a can of Tuna, spices ( nothing too fancy), and capsicums ( peppers) and pretty much anything else laying around. I always added peas while my older sister loved to add pineapple. This was not my favourite addition.
We ate huge plates, never tiring of it from week to week.
I recently wondered why I hadn’t made it, or eaten it in all the years I had a child and teenager in the house. He could have then eaten the leftovers and maybe even carried on a tradition.
It has changed a little of course. It wasn’t called One Pot Turmeric Tuna Rice with Chipotle Crema then.
This is such an easy recipe a child can make it as well as eat it.
I haven’t included chilli or anything too out there because you can feed this to anyone for any meal, breakfast lunch or dinner. I have included Turmeric though for its exotic warm flavour and beautiful colour. It’s good for you too, according to the evidence I read on Lyfe Botanicals
I ‘ve added a recipe for Chipotle Crema because I can’t live without it and this rice tastes like the bomb with it! Seriously do not skip it. It will make your weekend. Oh and add that soft-cooked egg for a heavenly combo too.
Looking for more 1 pot recipes?
One Pot Turmeric Tuna Rice with Chipotle Crema
- 400 gm Jasmine rice 2 cups
- 200 gm onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 150 gm red capsicum or green, diced
- 750 ml chicken stock 3 cups
- 150 gm peas frozen (1 cup)
- 250 gm tuna can drained
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric powdered or 1 inch grated piece of fresh
- 1 tablespoon cumin ground
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 5 gm salt and pepper
- 60 ml olive oil
- 6 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoon chipotle Chilli crushed
- 250 gm sour cream 1 cup
- Mix the chipotle chilli with the sour cream and put into the fridge till later.
- Heat a deep fry pan that has a lid or wide bottomed pot . Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and add the onion, capsicum and garlic and saute on low till fragrant.
- Add the spices, rice and stock and stir. When the liquid comes up to the boil turn it down to the lowest setting and put the lid on. Leave for at least 10 minutes. The pot should not boil.
- Take off the lid add the tuna and the peas and stir. Check the rice. it should be cooked or almost cooked by now. Put the lid back on and leave for another 5 minutes.
- In the meantime heat a frypan and add the remaining oil. Cook the eggs till done the way you like them.
- Serve the rice with Chipotle Crema and the eggs.
- This makes a great breakfast or the leftovers are great taken to work the next day.