Parmesan Cabbage Salad with Pinenuts and Basil
This is easy but it tastes like a million dollars. I made this Parmesan Cabbage Salad with Pine nuts and Basil because I had a similar one in a restaurant and it cost $22. I liked it then and I love it now.
It is the perfect salad. I am not kidding
It couldn’t get any better or easier. Follow me. This is how to impress.
The Perfect Salad
This salad stands alone but it makes a deep impression with a Barbecue or a roasted chicken and also makes an impact with a steak. Give it a go.
You do need to cut the cabbage razor thin if this salad is going to be the best it can be. I sliced it on a Japanese slicer. I also have another slicer that works in a similar way that will give you an idea on what you should use. Maybe you could even do it with a sharp vegetable peeler too.
The thing about it is that it is simple. It tastes of Parmesan, Basil and the sharpness of a vinegar dressing with the crunch of toasted Pinenuts.
- 600 gm White cabbage 1/2 a small (the firm white variety minus the outside leafy greens
- 100 gm Parmesan cheese very finely grated. Add a bit of shaved if you want to garnish the top. Make sure you use fresh grated ITALIAN Grana
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped flat leaf
- 1/2 cup basil leaves torn
- 1/2 in red onion washedsome warm water to get rid of the acidity
- 2 radishes finely sliced
- 100 gm pine nuts toasted ( or hazelnuts if you can't get pinenuts)
- 40 ml white wine vinegar 2 Tablespoons
- 80 ml olive oil 4 Tablespoons
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Start with a large bowl. Add the finely shredded cabbage, radish, washed onion, parsley and basil
- Mix the dressing ingredients into a jar and shake well.
- Put the parmesan, salt and nuts into the bowl and toss with the dressing.
- The salad will start to soften a little as it is dressed.
- Garnish with extra parmesan, herbs and nuts if you like.