Strictly speaking I guess this Parmesan Chicken Bake uses two pots if you want to eat it with pasta or rice but that is a technicality. The most important part is that this one pot method for cooking Chicken Breasts means they are unbelievably tender and moist. Give it a try.
I have been concentrating on one pot meals that are quick and that sneak various vegetables into the mix for the unsuspecting. There’s a few reasons for this. It’s going to get cold soon and that’s the time we all start looking for quick and easy ways to eat something hot delicious and QUICK after work.
The next thing ….well that’s the fact that you all asked for recipes you can make from cupboard staples and with hidden vegetables. Well this recipe is certainly is one of them. Finally, one more reason and it’s very close to my heart, my vegephob fussy eater of a teenager has grow up and moved into a share house with a friend. He is cooking for himself these days and has asked for some recipes. That is very exciting news. It’s also something I never would have predicted in my wildest dreams, so I have been making these recipes for him too. ( Funny isn’t it because if he cooks them he’ll be hiding vegetables from himself!!).
Don’t forget to watch the video AND don’t forget to send me pictures if you make it!!
So as usual this recipe can be changed up to suit what ever you have on hand.
I know a lot of people buy chicken breasts. I really love thighs. They never dry out and that little bit of fat adds flavour. BUT, you can make this dish with either. Follow the time stated and you will be rewarded with a very flavour packed, secret vegetable hiding meal. I used oregano in the recipe but you can use rosemary or basil if you want. It’s entirely possible I have used oregano in the last 3 recipes as I have an oregano plant in my garden and a big bag of Italian organic oregano too. So, you use what yo have but this sure is a great taste with oregano dried or fresh (just use more fresh).
You can change up the secret vegetables inside the sauce. Add corn or peas or green capsicum or anything else. I have added zucchinis and mushrooms because they are good at playing hide and seek.
So what do you think?.
Follow me on You Tube and watch the recipes whenever I post. Just subscribe here .
PS check out if you can see where I massacred the chicken in this video!! Ooops a video stops for no man ( or woman).
Parmesan Chicken Bake.
- 6 chicken breasts boneless
- 30 gm cornflour 1/4 cup
- 5 gm salt and pepper
- 40 ml olive oil 2 Tablespoons
- 30 gm butter
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 Zucchini large grated , 1 ½ cups
- 8 button mushrooms sliced
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- 100 gm red capsicum diced
- 150 gm parmesan grated
- 700 ml passata tomato puree- no extra lumps
- You'll need a large skillet or shallow sided pot. I use a grill to brown the top ( broil)
- Roll the chicken in cornflour salt and pepper.
- Heat a large frypan or shallow sided pot big enough to hold all the ingredients. When the pan is hot add the olive oil.
- Add the chicken and leave for 3 minutes on one side turn over and seal the other side. (It doesn't need to be cooked through here or even brown - just sealed)
- Move the chicken over a little and add the oregano, onion, garlic and red capsicum sauteing till just softening. ( If you pan isn't big enough take the chicken out and continue returning to the pan when all the ingredients are in the sauce)
- Add butter and melt then add the mushrooms and soften before adding the grated zucchini and the tomato stir well. Put the chicken on top of the sauce.
- Divide the grated cheese between the chicken breasts, balancing it on top. Put the lid on the pan and simmer 10 minutes on a low to medium heat. That's all it needs. No more.
- Take the lid off and broil or grill till the cheese is golden. Serve with pasta and extra cheese.