This simple left over Ham Stir fry will have you forgetting you have had Ham for every meal since Christmas! This recipe is simple and I will guarantee you’ll want it more than once. A win for the leftover Ham problem.
Ham is delicious and its really speaks of Christmas to me. I don’t eat much Ham any other time of the year and then bang, Ham. Kilos and kilos of Ham. With another 2 kg of ham still left in the fridge you’ve gotta start being creative. What about Ham stir fry with flat rice noodles and shitake mushrooms?. A Ham Stir fry to use up that leftover mountain of goodness could be a real handy recipe to have.
Well that was unanimously agreed.
Ham and cheese toasties are not welcome here anymore. Ham risotto is overrated and these Ham Zucchini and Ricotta fritters are great but I’ve moved on. Ham and cheddar cheese french toasts were good while they lasted too.
This year my sister was providing the Ham. It was her turn because she received a very large one from work as a gift. Woop-ee. Free Ham.
When you work to the last minute on Christmas eve and you are having 20 people for lunch the next day it can be a bit stressful. My sister works in age care. Each time she went to leave, residents kept asking her questions. Are you going to sit and talk to me, what time are you coming tomorrow, can you post this letter for me etc etc. In the end she had to sneak out and it wasn’t until she got down the road a fair way that she remembered the Ham in the fridge at work.
So, rather than go back to work, she bought another ham on the way home. That means we have double the Ham!!!
This recipe has extra sauce. The sauce coats the noodles completely and that’s what makes this ham and noodle stir fry SO good. The noodles I used are very thick and take a long time to soften. The thinner the noodles the quicker they will re-hydrate. Fresh rice noodles would be amazing in this too.
Ham Stir fry with Rice Flat Noodles
- 60 ml oil vegetables or similar
- 200 gm onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 Tablespoons ginger grated
- 200 gm ham any leftover ham
- 200 gm shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 60 ml sweet soy sauce ABC ketchup manis | 3 Tablespoons
- 40 ml Soy Sauce light soy- gluten free | 2 tablespoons
- 40 ml oyster sauce
- 125 ml pineapple juice
- 20 gm sugar
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 3 Tablespoons cornflour
- 100 gm spinach leaves
- 1/2 bunch coriander chopped
- Start by re-hydrating the rice noodles. Put them into a bowl and pour over boiling water to cover. The thicker the noodles the longer they will take. Once softened drain and set aside.
- Heat a wok or deep fry pan and add the oil. next add the onions and toss for a minute. Add the garlic and ginger and toss for a minute more.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and ham and stir till all the additions are mixed with out burning.
- Then add all of the sauces and the sugar and stir well.
- Mix the chicken stock and the cornflour and add to the pan stirring till it thickens. taste for seasoning. it may need more soy or salt.
- Add the noodles, coriander and spinach and toss together well. Serve immediately