These Gluten free Ham, Zucchini Ricotta Fritters are easy and make a great Breakfast or Brunch. Use any leftover ham you have to make these for breakfast or brunch
Ham Zucchini Ricotta Fritters made with leftover ham
I only have enough ham to make these fritters, but my bet is that you probably have a lot more. I thought these may be a good way to use up some of that ham if you are lucky enough to have a 1/2 a leg left in your fridge after the relatives have all gone home.
I seem to always have ricotta too so I have added this to my fritters to make a lovely fritter with a soft and creamy middle. These are so nice with a salad and some tomato chutney or even better beetroot jam but they would also make a really nice breakfast with some grilled tomato and avocado.
The best thing is you can make the mixture a day ahead and cook them when you like. I love that. You can have breakfast all ready to go in the fridge. If your head works as badly as mine does in the morning then that should sound good to you too. I haven’t tried it but you could probably use feta in the mix instead of ricotta.
I usually don’t end up with leftovers after our family Christmas because it is never at my house. My house is small and very hot, its brick and it feels like it is wrapped in an electric blanket turned to max. We could all die of heat stroke if it was here. So I take everything I make and buy to whoever is hosting lunch or dinner. I never return to my place with food, so leftovers aren’t on the menu. I did however have a few slices of ham, lucky me!.
Ham, Zucchini, Ricotta Fritters,Gluten free
- 200 gm ham chopped. Less will work too!
- 300 gram Zucchinis or 2-3 zucchinis grated
- 150 gram ricotta fresh, drained
- 50 gram parmesan grated can substitute another cheese
- 20 gram green onion sliced 1/4 cup approx
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 whole eggs 70 gms each
- 240 gram gluten free self raising flour I used Aldi brand, 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 125 ml olive oil or another oil for frying. 1/2 cup
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper fresh ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt if needed
- 150 ml vegetable or olive oil use whichever you like
- Gently squeeze the grated zucchinis to remove a little of the water. Put into a bowl and add the parmesan cheese, green onions, oregano and chopped ham.
- Put the ricotta into another bowl big enough to hold the entire mixture and break it up with a fork. Add the pepper and a sprinkling of salt, dijon then mix in the eggs till combined. Add one cup of flour and stir well . Add the zucchini mixture and the next cup of flour and fold the entire mixture together. Stand for 5 minutes while you prepare the pans
- Heat a large frypan on high and add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Add the mixture in big spoonfuls flattening into patties about the size of a hamburger patty. The mixture will make 12.
- Don't turn the patty till it is golden brown. Check this by lifting a corner of a patty to check on the colour. Once you turn it over lower the heat a little so that it cooks through properly and repeat. I use two frypans to keep one on high one on low and move the patties between. Drain each on kitchen paper as you take them out of the pan.
- Serve the patties with Chutney or with crushed avocado and roast tomatoes.
If you like using leftovers try my recipe for using leftover rice and make a chocolate cake! get the recipe HERE