Doughnut French Toast Fingers with pancake batter and Cinnamon- Easter Brunch
Easter always reminds me of growing up . As a kid I was one of 4. We lived in a small house in the Western suburbs surrounded by Greeks, Italians, Ukrainians and lots of our relatives dotted in houses on the streets surrounding ours. At Easter time neighbours brought us coloured boiled eggs, ( we couldn’t eat them!) Panettone ( we didn’t like it) and Figolli, Maltese Easter biscuits, which we didn’t like either because they were filled with almond paste.
Oh yes we were fussy. We didn’t like any of these things . All we wanted was a few Cadbury Creme Eggs and perhaps one of those large hollow eggs. We never got much but that’s how it was. I wish I could go back to those days and try some of that food again now and talk to the people and get the recipes!
We were allowed to have pancakes with chocolate sauce at Easter. It was a highly anticipated treat we looked forward to. I have gone one better and made a much better version of Pancakes with Chocolate sauce only with a big twist. It’s similar to my recipe for How to make amazing Pancake Doughnuts. These Doughnut French Toast Fingers with Pancake Batter and Cinnamon are made with “Eastery” Cafe style fruit bread cut into fingers and dipped in pancake batter. As if it couldn’t get any better they are rolled in cinnamon sugar. These are easy and the most perfect breakfast/ brunch to share. Add a good chocolate sauce and some fruit and don’t forget THE best and quickest Strawberry sauce you have ever tried. Tuck this away for after the Easter Egg hunt
Doughnut French Toast- Easter Brunch
- 6 slices fruit bread cafe style thick fruit bread crusts removed and cut into 3 to 4 fingers
- 175 gram pancake mix dry I used organic Kialla brand
- 300 ml milk
- 250-300 ml neutral oil
- 200 gram caster sugar 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 50 gram caster sugar 1/4 cup
- 50 ml water 1/4 cup
- 125 ml cream 1/2 cup
- 100 gram dark chocolate 70%,chopped
Strawberry Sauce Dip
- 250 cup Strawberry jam 1
- 50 ml lemon Juice 1/4 cup
- 200 gm Berries or any other fruit you like to dip chocolate sauce to serve with it.
- You'll need a frypan and some kitchen draining paper
- Prepare the bread fingers and set aside
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon and pour onto a flat plate
- Mix the pancake mix with the milk. Whisk till dissolved.(You can use the whole container if you prefer)
- Put the ingredients for the choc sauce in a pot. Add the sugar, cream and water and heat with out boiling. Take off the heat cool slightly and stir in the chopped chocolate till dissolved. Pour into a bowl
- Mix the strawberry jam and the lemon juice and stir over a low heat till melted together and saucy. you can add a couple of tablespoons of water to this sauce to thin if needed. Pour into a bowl
- Heat the fry pan over medium heat and add about 2 cm (1/2 inch) oil. Drop a small piece of bread into the oil to test the heat. It should bubble.
- Dip the fingers into the pancake mix, coating very well and drop into the hot oil. Don't over crowd. Lightly brown on each side then drain on paper.
- Roll in cinnamon sugar and serve immediately while warm with the fruit and sauces.
You could also use thick sliced hot cross buns too.
Have you seen this Pancake Doughnut Video?