Mushrooms Stuffed with Ham and Black Garlic
I love baked mushrooms.
They are filling and so very tasty when stuffed. It is really as easy as putting something on top of a mushroom to stuff them, so don’t think the word stuffing means you’ll be working at it for hours.
So these are delicious cheese covered black garlic filled Mushrooms that would be great for appetisers or a bite sized canape or even an entrée. They can be made ahead or eaten straight away. I simply put mine in the fridge fully cooked and reheated them lightly when I needed them. The Black garlic mayonnaise tastes even better the next day too.
If you can’t find this mayonnaise you can use another flavoured mayonnaise too.
If you are mushroom lover these will excite you. Stuff them with pre cooked bacon instead of ham too.
What’s Black Garlic?
Originating in Asia black garlic is a sort of caramelised garlic made by heating whole heads of garlic under controlled humidity (80-90%) over weeks on end . The cloves turn a black colour and are soft. Black garlic doesn’t release a strong flavour like fresh garlic. It is sweet with hints of balsamic vinegar or tamarind. It’s considered to be quite healthy. It’s not easy to find so this Doodles Creek mayonnaise is probably a good way to try it.
Here’s a recipe for a Banh Mi bowl made with Sriracha Mayonnaise ( Doodles Creek)
- 6 mushrooms, large Field or Portobello
- 300 gm ham off the bone ( approximately)
- 80 ml butter or olive oil (4 tablespoons)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 60 gm Doodles Black garlic mayonnaise (or similar)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup parley, chopped - (1/2 small bunch )
- 6 slices cheddar cheese and
- 6 slices provolone cheese ( or swiss cheese)
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika ( just for sprinkling on top-don't skip this!)
- You'll need a frypan, oven tray and the oven preheated to 180 C/ 350 F
- First peel the outer skin from the mushrooms and remove the stalk. Finely chop these and set them aside.
- Put the mushrooms onto the lined oven tray and drizzle with 2 Tablespoons of the oil or melted butter and a grinding of pepper. Bake for 15 minutes or until starting to soften and release some juices. Set aside
- Cut the onion and slice the ham. Then heat a fry pan to medium heat, add the oil or butter and the onion and mushroom trimmings and gently sauté till they are soft.
- Take off the heat and cool down. when cool to touch add the Black Garlic Mayonnaise, Dijon and ham and stir well to combine.
- Pile the filling mixture into the mushroom cups ( these will probably go flat- that's OK). Then top with a slice of both cheeses then sprinkle with a little smoked paprika. You can store these at these for later now if you like)
- Pop into the oven and bake till bubbling, approximately 10-15 minutes depending on your oven ( they could also go under a grill or broiler)
- Eat as an appetiser or entrée or use smaller mushrooms for a canapé / small party bite.
- These are great both at room temperature or refrigerated and reheated for up to two days later