One Pot Turmeric Tuna Rice with Chipotle Crema
Do you like Tuna…. from a can I mean?
I eat it a lot. It’s great with salad for lunch but when I was a teenager we pretty much had it every weekend. We had a favourite Saturday dish and we took turns cooking it. I don’t know why, but it was pretty much always the same dish. To make things even more bizarre each of us added different things, and totally appreciated the twists and turns taken on the Saturday we relinquished the cooking to another Sister.
It was a rice dish that included a can of Tuna, spices ( nothing too fancy), and capsicums and pretty much anything else laying around. I always added peas while my older sister loved to add pineapple. This was definitely not my favourite addition.
We ate huge plates, never tiring of it from week to week.
I recently wondered why I hadn’t made it or eaten it in all the years I had a child and teenager who could have then eaten the left overs and maybe even carried on a tradition. It has changed a little of course. It wasn’t called One Pot Turmeric Tuna Rice with Chipotle Crema then.
Well it’s never too late, while I can still cook.
This is such an easy recipe a child can make it as well as eat it.
I haven’t included chilli or anything too out there because you can feed this to anyone for any meal Breakfast lunch or Dinner and they will love it.
I have added a recipe for Chipotle Crema because I can’t live without it and this rice tastes like the bomb with it!!! seriously do not skip it. it will make your weekend. Oh and add that soft cooked egg for a heavenly combo too.
- 400 gm Jasmine rice (2 cups)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 diced red or green capsicum
- 750 ml chicken stock (3 cups)
- 150 gm peas, frozen (1 cup)
- 250 gm can drained tuna
- 1 Tablespoon powdered Turmeric (or 1 inch grated piece of fresh)
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¼ cup of chopped parsley
- !or you could use 2 Tablespoons mild curry powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 60 ml Olive Oil (3 tablespoons)
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoon chipotle Chilli crushed
- 250 gm sour cream (1 cup)
- Mix the chipotle chilli with the sour cream and put into the fridge till later.
- Heat a deep fry pan that has a lid or wide bottomed pot . Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and add the onion, capsicum and garlic and saute on low till fragrant.
- Add the spices, rice and stock and stir. When the liquid comes up to the boil turn it down to the lowest setting and put the lid on. Leave for at least 10 minutes. The pot should not boil.
- Take off the lid add the tuna and the peas and stir. Check the rice. it should be cooked or almost cooked by now. Put the lid back on and leave for another 5 minutes.
- In the meantime heat a frypan and add the remaining oil. Cook the eggs till done the way you like them.
- Serve the rice with Chipotle Crema and the eggs.
- This makes a great breakfast or the leftovers are great taken to work the next day.