Cauliflower, Quinoa and Spinach Soup. It’s perfect.
This soup has a few hidden nutritional advantages. I’ll tell you what they are in a minute.
Look I know…….
What a change this post is. Crazy don’t you think?. It’s a bit like the world weather. Cold one minute (when it’s supposed to be Summer) and hot the next ( when it’s supposed to be Winter), so I thought I would swing from my last post, Chocolate and Peanut Butter Truffles right over here to a soup. Pop.
I think it is the kind of soup you can take to work, or serve as a really good weeknight dinner. It’s creamy looking isn’t it?. Yes and it tastes like it too but there is no dairy in it.
Please take note if you are my sister and you are reading this ( she says she reads my dribble but does she?). She’s a non dairy eater. Are there any more of you out there?. No? Well I really didn’t have an intention of skipping dairy (because I love it) but this soup just evolved and quite honestly it doesn’t need it. It’s nice to have a break…..for a short while. It’s made with quinoa so their is no gluten either. Look, I told you it is a special soup. I am hoping for an award, at least for the next statement anyway. Are you ready? If you make it with vegetable stock it is not only Vegetarian but Vegan. I know. Special.
Here take a look at it again. I know you are intrigued now aren’t you?
I made this in the time it took to boil it and puree it with a stick blender. Do you have one of those?. They are an indispensable soup Genie. I love everything about this soup including the inclusion of two surprising secret ingredients and what?.. my favourite vegetable obsession– cauliflower.
I hit a soup bender last week when it was raining here. Now I am finding that leftovers make for the ultimate lazy week and that the flavour gets better with every slothful bowl I consume. If it is winter where you are now, then get cracking this should bring your nutritional quota back up from last weeks chocolate binge.
- 1 onion chopped smallish
- 1 Tablespoon ginger grated or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 head cauliflower ( 800 gm / 28 oz) average size, cut
- 1 cup cooked tri colour quinoa
- 2 pieces of preserved lemon chopped very finely pulp removed
- 1 litre / 34 fl oz of stock chicken or vegetable
- 1 cup (150 gm / 5.3 oz) raw cashews
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 21 tablespoon chopped parsley or basil
- ½ teaspoon cumin extra
- 2 x 10 gm cubes of frozen spinach. Mine is cut very small, defrosted .
- Heat a medium sized pot big enough to hold all of the ingredients
- Add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and add onion, garlic, and cumin and saute till softened a little .
- Set aside ½ cup of the cauliflower, then add the remainder of the cauliflower, cashews, preserved lemon and stock and simmer till tender. ( about 10 minutes)
- Puree with a stick blender till smooth then add ½ a cup of quinoa and the spinach and stir on a low heat till it is mixed in and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Break the remaining cauliflower into tiny flowerettes. Heat a saute pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil add the small cauliflower, quinoa and extra cumin and saute till there is a bit of colour and crunch. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the chopped parsley.
- Serve on the top of the soup
The post Cauliflower , Quinoa and Spinach Soup first appeared on My Kitchen Stories