Some times the simplest things are the best. That’s what this Sweet Potato Soup with bacon is like. Simply the best.
Yes it’s a Sweet Potato Lentil and Bacon soup and that’s easy enough but it has healing properties. It’s made with ginger and turmeric and a bowl slurped after work just makes you feel all better.
Lately I’ve been slovenly. A pot of something lasts me for days. Isn’t it just the best feeling to know that some days you can just be as lazy as you want but still eat healthily? The hardest thing you will have to endue will be chopping. I love chopping, starting with a couple of whole vegetables and ending up with a huge pile of rainbow coloured vegetables. It gives me an odd sense of achievement, I’m a simple person.
I’ve left this soup chunky, it’s less work. It fits with the theme. As does the two cans of lovely brown lentils it’s made with. These kinds of things can be very nutritious and make life very easy. Do you know what my most favourite extra quick food is?. Seriously don’t laugh… I love nothing better than a big bowl of peas. Butter. Sea salt. Heaven.
I didn’t use the fat on the bacon for this soup. I just wanted a bit of flavour and texture without any extra fat. If you want this to be vegetarian then just skip the bacon altogether and use vegetable stock too. I definitely wouldn’t skip the ginger or the turmeric. I have used fresh grated turmeric root. If you can’t get fresh then a teaspoon of powder should do the trick.
This soup will last you for days if there are only one or two of you, but as a weeknight dinner for up to 6 people with lashings of toast or maybe cheese on toast it’s perfect.
You may have also noticed that I have stirred in some spinach leaves too. That’s entirely optional but boy they are good! Video below.
Sweet Potato Lentil Soup with Bacon
- 1 kg Sweet Potato Orange, peeled and diced small
- 200 gm onion diced (1 onion)
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon turmeric grated or 1 teaspoon powdered
- 150 gm bacon diced rindless no fat
- 40 ml olive oil 2 tablespoons
- 800 gm brown lentils 2 tins, don't drain
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 600 ml tomato passata
- 2 Tablespoons parsley chopped
- 100 gm baby spinach leaves
- Heat a 5 litre pot and add the olive oil, onions and bacon and stir till starting to get soft. Add the ginger, garlic and turmeric. Stir well and cook or 1 minute. Add the sweet potato, tomato passata and stock. Simmer till the potatoes are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pour in the lentils water and all. Bring back to the boil.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley. Turn off and stir in the spinach if using.class
If you like soup try this one too. Cauliflower and Quinoa Soup. Or this Lasagne Soup!