Frozen Banoffee Ice Cream Cake.
Although this is a frozen dessert to be honest it could be any kind of weather and I think you would like the caramel, banana and chocolate flavours in this easy to eat ice cream with the crunchy base. It’s based on a Banoffee Pie idea of course. Have you ever had Banoffee pie?. This is the frozen version.
I made this the first time when I needed a gluten free dessert and I had bananas, it’s almost as simple as that. One of the other reasons I thought it might be good is because it’s one of those desserts you can almost entirely make ahead of the time you need it. Make it freeze it and use it any time in the next couple of weeks. When you unwrap it and put it on the cake platter dressed up in it’s caramel and bananas with dollops of whipped cream, it will still be as creamy and caramel y as it was the day you made it.
You could add Maltesers or any other kind of chocolate or even dress it up with Raspberries, that would be very cool but not quite Banoffee, I suppose.
There have been a few versions of this Frozen Banoffee but this with its simple boiled together caramel is the easiest and best.
Don’t be tempted to sweeten the cream that goes on top or the banana flavoured cream either. The caramel and the no churn ice cream are sweet enough .
Frozen Banoffee Ice cream Cake
- 800 gm condensed milk 395 x 2 tins
- 600 ml cream heavy or thickened cream
- 200 gm rice cookies gluten free
- 50 gm raw cashews
- 80 gm butter unsalted melted
- 250 ml cream thickened or heavy cream
- 2 whole bananas mashed, very ripe, about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup
Easy Caramel Sauce
- 80 gm brown sugar 1/2 cup
- 60 ml cream Thickened or heavy cream (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 2 whole bananas sliced (Not too ripe for decorating)
- 250 ml whipped Cream 1 cup
- 25 gm dark chocolate grated
Set the oven to 180 / 360 F. You will need a 26 cm or 10 in spring form tin with the sides and base lined with baking paper
- Empty the two cans of condensed milk into a casserole dish. Make sure the dish can sit in a baking tray 1/2 full of water. Cover the casserole dish containing the condensed milk with greaseproof paper and then foil and bake for 1 hour or till a light caramel colour ( you could also boil the tins for the same effect)
- Then cool in the fridge till very cold, or pop in the freezer till cold for those short on time
- Meantime crush the cookies and cashews together ( doesn't matter if there are cashew pieces bigger than the biscuit crumbs, it just adds texture. Mix with the melted butter and press into the bottom of the springform tin.Chill
- Beat the 600 ml of cream with the chilled caramelized condensed milk till light and thick. It will form nice soft spoonable peaks.
- Spoon it into the cake tin on top of the biscuit base, and pop into the freezer. I like to leave mine to set for an hour or two.
- Mash the two ripe bananas and put into a bowl with the other 250 ml cream and beat until light and thick. Spread this banana mix over the top of your condensed milk ice cream ( do not be tempted to sweeten this) Flatten out by taping on the bench or using a small spatula
- Put the Ice Cream cake into the freezer protected by a piece of foil.
- To make the Caramel: Put the brown Sugar, salt and Cream into a saucepan and melt. Then let it come to the boil. Boil for about 30 seconds before adding the lemon juice. Put into a bowl or jar and chill . This is best made well before you need it so it is cold .
- Use the last whipped cream to decorate. Put it into a small piping bag OR put it into a plastic bag and snip off the corner. Now you have a piping bag
- Run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen before taking out of the cake tin. Put onto a serving platter
- Slice the banana. Pipe generous dots of whipped cream around the edges then spoon over the caramel sauce. Add bananas and grated chocolate.
- The cake melts quickly once on a platter so pop it back into the freezer while you are cutting decorations or if you are preparing anything to go with it. It will be fine on a platter in the freezer even fully decorated.
The left overs will also keep well. Just cover it well and put back into the freezer (or back in the cake tin)
Another caramel recipe can be found here. This is a more traditional bittersweet one. Bitter sweet caramel recipe can be found here.