Frozen Banoffee Ice Cream Cake.
Although this is a frozen dessert to be honest it could be any kind of weather and I think you would like the caramel, banana and chocolate flavours in this easy to eat ice cream with the crunchy base. It’s based on a Banoffee Pie idea of course. Have you ever had Banoffee pie?. This is the frozen version.
I made this the first time when I needed a gluten free dessert and I had bananas, it’s almost as simple as that. One of the other reasons I thought it might be good is because it’s one of those desserts you can almost entirely make ahead of the time you need it. Make it freeze it and use it any time in the next couple of weeks. When you unwrap it and put it on the cake platter dressed up in it’s caramel and bananas with dollops of whipped cream, it will still be as creamy and caramel y as it was the day you made it.
You could add Maltesers or any other kind of chocolate or even dress it up with Raspberries, that would be very cool but not quite Banoffee, I suppose.
There have been a few versions of this Frozen Banoffee but this with its simple boiled together caramel is the easiest and best.
Don’t be tempted to sweeten the cream that goes on top or the banana flavoured cream either. The caramel and the no churn ice cream are sweet enough .
- 800 gm condensed milk 395 x 2 tins
- 600 ml cream heavy or thickened cream
- 200 gm rice cookies gluten free
- 50 gm raw cashews
- 80 gm butter unsalted melted
- 250 ml cream thickened or heavy cream
- 2 whole bananas mashed, very ripe, about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup
- 80 gm brown sugar 1/2 cup
- 60 ml cream Thickened or heavy cream (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 2 whole bananas sliced (Not too ripe for decorating)
- 250 ml whipped Cream 1 cup
- 25 gm dark chocolate grated
You can freeze for up to two weeks or till needed.
The left overs will also keep well. Just cover it well and put back into the freezer (or back in the cake tin)
Another caramel recipe can be found here. This is a more traditional bittersweet one. Bitter sweet caramel recipe can be found here.