Brussel Sprout Salad made with Ricotta salata fennel and toasted hazelnuts. crunchy green goodness for winter days
I have made a salad with the last of the months Sprouts, Fennel and some interesting cheese. This is dry ricotta “Ricotta Salata” and most certainly not the best brand or specimen to be sure but, I wanted some and it was easily found in one of the Supermarkets. An Italian cheese, it is traditionally made from sheep’s milk , salted pressed then dried. It has a milky lactic flavour and crumbly texture that is really nice with garlicky or tomatoey based ingredients. This one has goat, cow and sheep milk. I quickly browned it a little olive oil to make it more crumbly. Find a nicer one from Paesanella
Milky Ricotta Salata is also gorgeous grated over salad just like it is too.
Sharing is caring so here are my guidelines for a crunchy delicious Brussel Sprout Salad
- 250 gm Brussels Sprouts cleaned and halved
- 1 bulb fennel medium head cleaned and finely shaved or sliced
- 50 gm toasted hazelnuts
- 50 gm semi dried tomatoes nice soft ones
- 1/2 bunch parsley flat leaf, picked and lightly chopped
- 50 gm ricotta salata 4 or more if you want
- 1 leaves small bunch of sage picked
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 50 ml lemon juiced 1 lemon
- 60 ml olive oil extra for sauteing or oil from semi dried tomatoes
You can grate the ricotta salata over the salad uncooked as well.