This Chicken Noodles Soup is a bowl of unexpected comfort that will have you jumping for joy on a cold day.
Unexpected comfort. That can be a hug from someone, a nice comment, your son drying the dishes before you get home from work..!
Or a bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup.
This is the simplest most comforting soup. No tricky ingredients.
This soup is for my treasured friend who Julia lives in the Bay of Islands in a little town called Kerikeri, Northland , New Zealand. There are no Asian supermarkets or any real speciality stores. Julia is gearing up to her busiest time of year as director at Northland Tourism, she can be found most of the time in Paihia, at the information centre. This seaside town in the centre of the Bay of Islands is a laid back holiday town and lots of fun in the summer. She is going to love this soup when she gets home from work and wants something light and delicious, after a day of pointing tourists in the right direction.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 litres chicken stock or water
- 1.2 kg chicken
- 5 stalks green onion shallots
- 25 gm ginger grated 1 Tablesp,
- 2 cloves garlic
- 60 ml light soy (1/4 cup if available other wise plain old soy sauce)*
- 100 gm carrot shredded or julienned
- 85 gm 5 minute noodles 1 packet
- 1 cup beansprouts
- 1 Tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 stalks green shallots julienned
- 400 gm chicken shredded from cooked chicken above
- 1/2 bunch coriander picked
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- Put the stock and water in a deep pot with the drained and patted dry chicken, 5 stalks of shallots, garlic , 1/4 cup of soy and ginger. Bring this up to the boil, put on the lid and turn to very low and let it simmer gently for 30 minutes, then turn it off and stand with the lid on for 15 minutes.
- The chicken will be perfectly cooked if it is 1.2kg ( 2.64lb) (if it is bigger it will need a little bit longer or smaller a shorter time). Take the chicken out of the stock. Make the soup immediately or store away at this point for later use
- To finish : soup measurements for two
- Put 4 cups of broth into a pot. Bring this to the boil and immediately add 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, julienne carrot, noodles and ginger. Boil gently until the noodles are just done ( about 5 minutes)
- Add 1 1/2 cups of shredded chicken and the sesame oil. Take off the heat and taste. If you have light soy you will need a little salt added. The darker heavier soys are sometimes saltier please taste.
- Just before ladling into bowls add bean sprouts, chopped shallots and coriander