We’ve had a few of these Ham and Cheese French Toast Rolls recently, mostly because they make a good breakfast or lunch but also because Skater keeps asking me to buy him bread and ham but never gets around to eating it. This is the perfect idea to use up both. They are just like French toast but without all the sugar. I have seen them made with prosciutto, ricotta and mushrooms and also with gooey stretchy cheese on Nagi’s Recipe Tin eats. Ours are made with strong and bitey cheddar cheese that has been just under melted because that is the way Skater likes them. I have also become addicted to the Sundried Tomato and Grain Mustard sauce from Rozas in Queensland, it’s one of my favourites. It’s great on mayo or with chicken or barbecued vegetables or meats. I think it would be nice through pasta with a bit of cream too.
Meantime, Skater has continued his once a week cooking however, sometimes there have been some shortcuts. We’ll have to get around to new skills this March. This frozen Ricotta and Spinach Ravioli is a great shortcut that he can cook without any direction when I am flat out. He has added a very nice tomato cream and vegetable sauce, and presented me with this delicious and delicate looking plate.
Next and so importantly this is how I made those rolls. The simple recipe is below.
Ham and Cheese French Toast Rolls look great don’t they. It’s such a great way to use up ham and it’s extra nice to have French Toast without the sugar.
- 6 slices of bread - I used a sliced sour dough for more texture and flavour with crusts removed
- 6 thin strips of leg ham
- 6 strips of tasty cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon of sundried tomato and grain mustard spread - or anything else you like.
- 2 eggs and ¼ cup / 100 ml of milk whisked together
- 50 gm of butter and a little olive oil
- A sprinkling of salt and pepper for the egg mix
- Cut the crusts of the slices of bread. Flatten the bread slices with a rolling pin or with the flat of your hand.
- Cut the ham and cheese and set aside.
- Whisk the egg and the milk and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Put the strips of ham and cheese onto one end of the slices of breasd and roll up. Squash them together a bit with your hands. Sit the rolls on their seam on a plate or board to keep them together. Roll all six .
- Heat the fry pan on a medium heat till nice and warm then add half the butter and a few drops of olive oil if you like. ( you can also use what ever oil you like but butter works the best for flavour and browning).
- Dip each roll into the egg mix turning over and letting the egg soak in. Immediately put each roll into the pan alongside each other. Adjust the heat so that the rolls don't burn. Turn them over browning each side. Add more of the butter if it drys up.
- Take each one out and put onto a plate as they as browned on all sides and melted through. A slow heat is best.