Ham and Cheese French Toast Rolls
This is a guide to make a tasty breakfast or brunch of delicious savoury French Toast Rolls with ham and cheese. Give them a go with different cheeses or even another meat like prosciutto, salami or bacon.
- 6 slices bread I used a sliced sour dough for more texture and flavour with crusts removed
- 6 pieces leg ham thin strips of
- 6 pieces cheddar cheese strips of tasty
- 1 teaspoon of sundried tomato and grain mustard spread - or anything else you like.
- 100 gm butter soft
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml milk whisked together
- 50 gm butter (extra)
- 40 ml olive oil 2 Tablespoons
- A sprinkling of salt and pepper for the egg mix
Cut the crusts off the slices of bread. Flatten the bread slices with a rolling pin or with the flat of your hand.
Cut the ham and cheese and set aside.
Whisk the egg and the milk and season with a little salt and pepper.
Spread the bread with a thin layer of butter. Put the strips of ham and cheese onto one end of the slices of bread and roll up.
Squash them together a bit with your hands. Sit the rolls on their seam on a plate or board to keep them together. Roll all six .
Heat the fry pan on a medium heat till nice and warm then add half the extra butter and a few drops of olive oil.
Dip each roll into the egg mix turning over and letting the egg soak in. Immediately put each roll into the pan alongside each other. Adjust the heat so that the rolls don't burn.
Turn them over browning each side. Add more butter if the pan drys up.
Take each one out and put onto a plate as they as browned on all sides and melted through. A slow heat is best. You can put these into a warm oven between batches, if you want to make lots
They go nicely with pan fried mushrooms or tomatoes . To make more just double the recipe.