Prawn Salad with Bacon Avocado Lime & Jalapeno dressing
Skater has been gone for days on end, leaving me to quietly perspire in the oppressive heat of a Sydney summer, and drown in my own thoughts. Our house is quiet and we no longer need to worry about our smallest family member huffing and puffing in the heat. It’s a bit of a relief in that respect because she did hate the heat. Before she got so terribly sick, or even maybe because she was so terribly sick, I took to showering her with one of those hand shower hoses in the bath to cool her off. Even though she was so hot and exhausted, panting and languishing on the floor stretched out, she lumbered up each time I went from room to room. Just to be with me, because that’s the kind of love it was.
It is hard to be here at this moment in time when she is not, and so I can’t blame Skater for filling in extra time at his girlfriends. I can’t bare to think that she was probably in pain for some time and I didn’t realize it or know. It just never mattered to her as long as her family was home. There is an empty place in our house and our hearts and we will just have to get used to it. Come winter when her faux red fur coat is still hanging on the hook in the laundry we will be saddened again by her absence.
I decided to treat myself last night with something simple. I have not had the inspiration or inclination for much in the last few weeks , so I bought some large green Australian Banana prawns from the fish market near me. I don’t buy them nearly enough. They make such an incredible quick meal. I always think of them as being a little expensive but of course they aren’t compared to buying other meat.
I really just used what I had in the fridge. Vine ripened tomato, bacon, baby coz lettuce, avocado and jalapeno peppers and home grown herbs. Couldn’t be simpler or tastier.
The fridge empties and fills as the weeks pass and life goes on. There are some characters that also come and go in our lives both people and cherished pets, filling us with the love we need to sustain us through the ups and downs.
Prawn Salad with Bacon Avocado, Jalapeno dressing
- 500 gram prawns large ( approx 12) peeled
- 1 clove garlic small
- 1 whole lime zest
- 40 ml olive oil 2 tablespoons
- 200 gm bacon, rashes
- 1 tomato very ripe, cut into cubes
- 1/4 bunch chives chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves torn
- 200 gm lettuce, washed, Coz or iceberg
- 1 whole Avocado
- 50 gm yoghurt 1/4 cup, Greek
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 60 ml lime juice 3 tablespoons
- 6 slices jalapenos but it's best to serve them with the salad
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons fried shallots Asian section of the supermarket
- Put the prawns in a bowl with crushed garlic, lime zest and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Heat a large nonstick frypan add 40 ml oil and add the bacon. Fry till he bacon starts to cook, softening and smelling fragrant. Then add the prawns tossing for 5 to 8 minutes or until they are pink. The bacon will be more coloured and the prawns just cooked,
- Pour into a bowl, add the chopped tomato.
- Wash and separate the cos lettuce, mint leaves and chopped chives.
- Toss the salad together. You can add a squeeze more lemon or lime and another tablespoon of olive oil salt and pepper and toss through as well. I like a very well dressed salad. Add 4 slices of Jalapeno. Place onto a serving dish or individual dishes.
Avocado Jalapeno cream
- Put the peeled deseeded avocado into a blender (best) or food processor. Add the 3 Tablespoons of lime juice, a pinch of salt, yoghurt, dijon & 2 slices Jalepenos and blitz till very smooth and creamy. Taste for seasoning .ie: is it salty enough, does it taste nice and limey?
- Serve this on top of the salad sprinkled with fried shallots for crunch.