Baked One Pot Chicken and Mushrooms
This just happens to be one of the best recipes in the fantastical series of one pot chicken dishes I have cooked lately. I love mushroom sauce….so much. This chicken makes it’s own amazing Mushroom Sauce all in the one pot.
One pot dinners have become my speciality lately because once you construct them they just take care of themselves until the oven timer goes off. Lets also talk about the fact that if there are leftovers they can miraculously become another meal too. Pick off all the little leftover pieces of chicken, wrap them in a taco and bingo you have a great snack.
One Pot Chicken Simple. No Need to add extras
I haven’t used any butter in this recipe because I think the cream adds enough of a luxury feel to the sauce. The most important element here is the dijon mustard it seasons the sauce beautifully and adds its own creaminess.
My only tip is when adding the mushrooms you should add a little extra Olive Oil as mushrooms tend to need a little extra help when you are cooking them. They soak up a bit of oil before they soften. Swiss Brown mushrooms have more flavour than most mushrooms, if you can get a hold of them. You can see in the video I have added a few of them whole because it is nice to get a whole mushroom on your plate.
OMG you are going to love this.
- 1.5 kg whole chicken ( or close)
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 500 gm mushrooms, sliced (button or swiss brown mushrooms)
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 250 ml cream (or non dairy cream)
- 40 ml lemon juice ( or ½ a lemon)
- 40 ml olive oil extra
- cracked pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Set the oven to 190 C. You will need a baking dish big enough to hold the whole chicken. I used a square le Creuset dish 35 cm x 25 cm or 14 inches x 10 in
- Heat the baking dish on a stove top on medium and add the oil, onions, garlic and thyme and sweat till they are soft. Add the sliced mushrooms stirring till they start to break down and soften too. You may want to add a little more oil .
- Once the mushrooms are starting to soften add the dijon mustard the cream and the stock and stir well. Let come to a simmer briefly.
- Now add the whole chicken and sprinkle it with salt and rub into the skin along with a splosh of olive oil. this is to make sure the chicken cooks with a love brown exterior. Pop the squeezed lemon half into the cavity of the chicken
- Bake till the chicken is golden and the juices run clear in the inner though of the leg or approximately 1 hour to 1.15 minutes
- Stand for several munites before cutting and serving with salad or rice or quinoa. .