Soft White Polenta and Three Cheeses with Heirloom Roasted Tomatoes
It was just a forgone conclusion that I was going to make this Soft White Polenta with Three Cheeses and Roasted heirloom Tomatoes
Why? Don’t make me say it….. because I had to cook it before the bugs got to it. There I said it out loud.
I seem to have a few of the pesky creatures escaping from packets here and there. They are Italian ones there is no doubt they came from the organic, stone ground, un-heat treated buckwheat flour I haven’t managed to finish. They all headed straight for the pasta packets in the other cupboard, after escaping from the buckwheat because……they so love pasta, just like Italians do.
This white polenta is very fine and perfect for cakes and also this soft and cheesy side dish. Oh my gosh we ate the soft cheesy polenta as a side with steak, fish and chicken, kind of like a potato or pasta substitute. It was so good. I say we because Skater ate it too!. Win
So this is my new favourite side dish Soft White Polenta with Three Cheeses and roasted heirloom tomatoes. I made it in a spring form tin, but it is much better to make it in a nice casserole dish you can pop into the oven and then onto the table.
- 250 gm polenta, fine white (1 cup)
- 1½ litres water (6 cups)
- 100 gm of cheese (cheddar or parmesan)
- 50 gm butter
- 1 ear of corn, husked
- 400 gm heirloom tomatoes Coloured green, yellow, orange, baby romas and cherries 2 cups
- 50 gm cheddar cheese
- 50 gm mozzarella
- 25 gm parmesan cheese, grated, 4 Tablespoons
- ¼ cup of basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons of chives chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oven 180 F/ 360 F
- Put the water into a large pot and bring up to the boil. Once boiling turn down and rain in the polenta then whisk to combine. Turn onto low and whisk regularly.
- Continue to cook until the polenta is thick and white like mashed potatoes ( 20-30 minutes on low). Add the 50 gm butter and the 50 gm of cheese and 1 teaspoons of salt ( or to taste) and fresh black pepper. Whisk in.
- Pour into a casserole dish and refrigerate till set. Once cold dig out the centre of the polenta and mix it in a bowl with the corn kernels, cheddar and mozzarella then return to the centre of the dish flattening down.
- Cover with tomatoes, chives, basil and parmesan. This can be made to here, and put back in the refrigerator till later if desired.
- Put the polenta in to the oven on 180 C and bake till the cheese is melted and the tomatoes starting to scorch. This will take about 30 minutes,
- Serve with barbecued or pan fried meats, schnitzels, braised dishes and stews and fish. pass extra balsamic, olive oil and chilli.
If you want to add all the cheese at once while it is cooking, Then go ahead. Just add it all at the end with the corn kernels and stir till combined.
Poor the polenta into a casserole, top with tomatoes and cheese and bake straight away if you like.