This Vegan Caramel Sauce looks just the same as any caramel sauce and it is just as delicious. It’s easy to make and goes well with our Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream sandwiches
Vegan Caramel Sauce works just the same as standard dairy based caramel sauce. You just need to replace the dairy based ingredients with plant based ingredients. That means it has the same amount of fat and sugar. Vegan is not a health food its a way to avoid eating animals.
Making Caramel Sauce
Salted Caramel Sauce is a balanced mix of sugar, bitterness, fat and a creamy element. This Vegan sauce is based on a tried and true dairy based salted caramel version HERE.
This type of caramel sauce is lush and rich and the addition of salt is needed to balance and check the sweetness. Sometimes butter and cream based caramel sauces spit and separate, this one stays together extremely well. The layers of sugars and golden syrup seem to bind with the fats making a perfect no split sauce. Give it a shake and it’s ready to go.
You can use Vegan Caramel Sauce with fresh or poached fruit. It would also be perfect on this Vegan Chocolate Cake.
You know by now though that I like it with The Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches I’ve been making. The recipe is Here. It’s even great between these Peanut Butter cookies and popped in the fridge to set.
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 20 ml water
- 100 gm Nutalex
- 150 gm brown sugar
- 80 ml golden syrup
- 25 ml Kara coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt flakes you may need a little more salt
- Have all of the ingredients measured and ready before beginning. Caramel cooks quickly and there is no time to run off to find missing ingredients
- Put the sugar into a pot with 25 ml water swirl the pot to combine
- Let the sugar caramelise till deep golden
- Take off the heat and add the butter swirling till it starts to dissolve, then add the brown sugar, coconut cream and golden syrup and put back on a low heat whisking till everything is dissolved.
- Bring back to a simmer letting it cook and bubble for 2 - 3 minutes or until it has started to look shiny and thickened. Then add ½ the salt flakes.
- Pour into a thick sided container to cool a little. taste and add extra salt if necessary