This week is a bit of a crazy whirlwind for me. I am afraid there will most probably be nothing but cake posts, because that’s all I have been doing. Again. I partnered with one of my favourite companies last week to talk about their Australian organic milled cake flour. I am always happy to talk about Kialla Pure Foods. It’s our very own Australian Grain Milling Company operating in Queensland. There’s a list of the flours they mill here. But if you go to their Face book page you can get close and personal with some of the things happening behind the scenes. This sponge recipe uses cake flour to make the easiest sponge recipe possible.
Sponge is such a fresh light cake for all seasons and all people.
There aren’t many people that won’t tuck into a sponge, but there are a lot of people that might be a bit scared to make one. Don’t be scared! Sponge is fast and quick cooking. All you need is a stand or hand mixer.
Let me help you make a simple gorgeous sponge you can make again and again. It’s really a Victoria Sponge because it has butter in it. It’s a quick light very easy sponge. Flour is one of the most important elements to making good sponge and pastry.
It’s not only important for flour to be organic, GMO free and Australian grown it is also important to use the right flour for the job. Did you know that “cake” flour is light and perfect for cakes because it has a lower protein or gluten content, which makes it less elastic and gives you lighter amazing sponges and cakes. Conversely pasta flour needs to be elastic and it is milled from wheat with lots more protein or gluten. Pizza flour has both more protein and bran so that when the dough is finished it has a texture and flavour just like the incredible pizzas you get at a woodfire pizza joint- the one that has a line outside.
Here are some cake tips first:
- Make sure ingredients are at room temperature including butter and eggs.
- Pre heat the oven and prepare the tins first
- Weigh everything well
- Sift the flour and baking powder
- Don’t open the oven in the first 15-20 minutes
Easiest Sponge recipe
- 225 gm butter soft
- 225 gm caster sugar
- 225 gm Cake flour Kialla unbleached Aussie
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 whole eggs
- 600 ml whipping cream
- 250 gm strawberries or any other berries you like
- 40 gm icing sugar sifted, ¼ cup
- Put all of the ingredients into the bowl of your mixer .
- Put the mixer on medium and mix till just combined.
- Pour into your cake tin, or divide into two.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Test by inserting a skewer into the centre. If it comes out clean remove and cool. if the centre is still a little soft bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Decorate once cold.
- I used 600 ml thickened cream whipped with icing sugar to taste. (20.3 oz)
- Spread ½ the cream inside the cake and use the remainder on top. Cut the strawberries into slices or ½'s and use ½ inside and the remainder on the top. Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired. This type of sponge is delicious spread with strawberry or raspberry jam in the middle . Just add cream and icing sugar
My Kitchen Stories works alongside Kialla Pure Foods from time to time. The relationship involves cooking with Organic Australian flours supplied by Kialla. All opinions are my own and I love to support an Australian company. Look out for more great recipes with Kialla products.