Can you make this chocolate cake in 10 minutes? Yes you can. Have you ever finished dinner and thought …now I’d like dessert?
Here’s dessert!! You can have chocolate cake hot straight from the oven with ice cream or cream. Ha ha perfect!
Hey dessert munchers, this is the recipe for you.
Of course, you can’t bake a cake in the oven in 10 minutes. This one is made in the microwave. You will be thanking me though when you whip this one up for the family. When eaten warm with my speedy chocolate icing or EXTRA quick chocolate sauce it is the perfect answer to the dessert needs of the family in a hurry.
It even makes a great last for a birthday if you need one in a flash. The picture you see above is the chocolate cake in 10 minutes iced with the simple chocolate icing in the recipe below.
It really is best eaten hot with this 5 minute chocolate sauce
What you need for 10 minute chocolate cake
The ingredients for this chocolate cake are quite simple.
- Cocoa powder a nice dark one. This is the most important ingredient. “Dutch or Alkalised” cocoa is rich and full flavoured and makes decadent sauces, icings and cakes without even having to use an actual block of chocolate. Buy the Plaistowe, Van Houten or Callebaut brands. All are pretty easy to get. Always have a packet on hand.
- Eggs. You can make this cake without eggs too but just the one adds texture and richness. I will give you the amended recipe below. (vegan)
- Flour. You need cake flour for this mix. Did you know if you substitute 2 Tablespoons of cornflour per cup of Bakers flour you’ll have a nice soft “cake flour”
- Vegetable oil. Any will do
- Baking Powder
Here’s how to make your chocolate cake in pictures
Try these recipes too!
Chocolate cake in 10 minutes
- 200 gm flour all purpose (11/4 cups) | 7.05 oz
- 40 gm cocoa powder 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon, caster, dark good quality | 1.4 oz
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 200 gm caster sugar 3/4 cup | 7.05oz
- 150 ml vegetable oil 1/2 cup + 1 Tablesoon | 5.30 fl oz
- 300 ml water 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons |10.5 fl oz
- 1 egg large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla optional
- 80 gm icing sugar 2.80 oz
- 15 gm cocoa powder 1/8 cup | 0.5oz
- 30 gm butter 1.05 oz
- 1 Tablespoon water 20 ml
To make the cake
- My microwave is 800 watts. The majority of microwaves are around 1000 watts. This will affect the cooking time of your cake. The higher the wattage of the microwave the quicker the cake will cook!
- You will need a glass or plastic container approx. 20 cm x 9 cm (8 x . Line the container you use with a circle (or square) of baking paper that fits exactly Into the bottom of the container and then spray with nonstick spray.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder together and whisk in the sugar to combine everything. ( Or if you have no sifter put them into a bowl and whisk together)
- Mix the water, egg and oil together and add to the dry ingredients. Mix with a whisk till smooth
- *For an 800 watt microwave: Pour the mixture into the lined mold and microwave for 5 minutes. Open the door turn the container. The middle of the cake will look like a volcanic eruption. It will need a little longer. Reset the timer for 3 minutes. Insert a skewer into the centre of the cake. The very top may be sticky to the finger, but the centre skewer should come out pretty clean. It is most likely Once the 3 minutes is up, keep the door closed for at least a minute. 1000-1200 watt microwave. Set the oven to 2 minutes. check the cake and set at 2 minute intervals checking as above by using a skewer. Then leave in the oven with the door closed for another minute or so.
- Run a knife around the container, put a plate on top and turn the cake over so that it slips out of the mould
- Either, eat the cake with cream or icecream and chocolate sauce, straight away. Find the chocolate sauce recipe. You can also cool and ice this cake if needed. Best the day it's made.
- Put all of the ingredients except for the butter, into to medium pot and whisk together.
- Turn onto a lower to medium heat and add the butter whisking till thick and shiny. Let it boil for 30 seconds then turn off the heat