Beetroot Couscous is delicious
The other night, I was not really making dinner for my Teenager specifically, however he needed to eat and I needed to dream up a recipe. I know that he will accept couscous, but I was pushing the boundaries with this one and he let me know. Apart from being a really great colour I know all of those vego loving readers out there will love this invention…..
And what happened when I called Skater for dinner?>>>>>> Well he took one look at this dish and said. …..
” Why do you have to make me things like this , why cant I just have something I like, like pasta for instance?” After picking over it for a bit, he ate most of it, even the couscous!
The bright red beetroot colour of this couscous will hit all the right notes nutritionally and aesthetically . Use it how you will but I have paired it with spiced Chicken. You could try Lamb or Salmon or with a lovely Tagine. This recipe also uses Preserved Lemons.
Beetroot Couscous Spiced Chicken and Chorizo- Serves 4 to 5
The chicken is cooked in the sauce and served with the vibrant couscous
- 2 x 1/4 pieces of preserved lemon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 x double chicken breasts
Put the chicken into a bowl with spices and finely chopped preserved lemons, olive oil and seasoning. Leave to marinate 5 minutes to overnight.
- 1 cup of minced fresh raw beetroot ( peeled and put through the food processor – approx 1-1/2 beetroots).
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 tablspn olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup of boiling chicken stock
- 1 cup of couscous
Extra olive oil and salt
Put a saucepan onto medium heat and saute the onion and spices. Add the beetroot and stir till warm. Add the couscous and stock extra salt and olive oil. Take off the heat add a lid and set aside.
- 2 chorizos diced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1/2 capsicum sliced
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup of chicken stock
Cook the chicken and the sauce
- Use a deep saute pan that will fit the chicken and sauce. Saute the sliced onion, chorizo and red pepper in a little oil. Saute until softened but not coloured. Turn up the heat and push the vegetables and sausage to the outside of the frypan. Put the chicken in and brown on one side before flipping, move everything back into the middle and add the stock and a lid and bring back to the boil. Then take off the heat and set aside for 10 minutes. This will steam cook the chicken. Test in the thickest part of the chicken before serving. If it is not cooked, slice off the thickest bit and put back into the sauce till done. Toss some rough chopped parsley or mint into the sauce and serve.
- Put the couscous onto plates. Top with the sliced chicken and some sauce. Serve with plain Greek yoghurt
Microformatting by hRecipe.