Sbrisolona. Almond Nutella Crumble cake is really like a crunchy tart. It’s also known as Sbrisolina a treat from Lombardy in Italy. Easy to make and SO delicious. Don’t forget to watch the video…….
I always have so many things I want to cook at Christmas and yet not many of them ever come to light. That is because I just run out of time. I am good though at thinking up all kinds of quick and easy last minute substitutes that anyone could whip up. Things like this no churn ice cream Christmas cake or these ridiculously easy Fruit Mince Muffins . Then there is the Last Minute Christmas Pudding or this No commitment Christmas Slice just to name a few. Yes it is clear that I always run out of time. I do have a bit of an obsession with sweet things. Oops.
This Sbrisolona is one of those easy things. I have made quite a few of these in the last two weeks. They whip up in the food processor in minutes and it seems that everyone loves them. My favourite is this one with Nutella, but I have made it recently with Jam and a layer of ricotta and also with fruit mince ( the sweet spicy Christmas kind made from dried fruit). You could say that this is extremely versatile as well as easy to make.
Give it a try. Make it and keep it in the fridge for up to a week.
- 300 gm / 10.58 oz plain flour (2 cups)
- 150 gm / 5.29 oz almond meal or flour (1¼ Cups)
- 150 gm / 5.29 oz caster sugar
- 210 gm / 3.40 oz unsalted butter softened
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large beaten egg
- 100 gm / 3.38 oz unpeeled whole almonds
- 375 gm or about 1¼ cups Nutella (don't use a substitute)
- You'll need a spring form 24 cm / 10 in lined with paper. ( No Smaller) . Oven 180 C / 350 F
- Start by roasting the Almonds. Put them onto a tray and roast for 8 minutes or till just starting to colour. Cool.
- Put the dry ingredients into the food processor and blitz. Add the softened butter and process till combined ( it will look just a little bit doughy)
- Stop and add the beaten egg and process till well combined or about 1 minute
- Put half the mixture into the bottom of the springform tin and press down. Add the nutella and spread over the base with a spoon or pallet knife leaving a border around the outside edge ( this stops the chocolate from burning).
- Sprinkle the remaining topping over the chocolate mixture and add the almonds to the top, pressing down lightly.
- Turn the oven down to 170 C/ 340 F and bake for 40 minutes. If the top starts to brown a lot cover it with foil to protect. (I also sit this on a hot pizza stone sometimes to help the bottom cook, but it isn't essential)
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Cut into small pieces. This cake should serve at least 12 people.