Thanks to everyone for your emails and best wishes. A melt down can be very unattractive. You have all helped to encourage me to smile. I truly appreciate your comments. There'll be no stories today, we will be swinging straight into cheese. I am going to give back to you with this idea.
I saw it first on Pinterest. It's definitely not the sort of cheese plate you may first think of serving, however it is very handy because you probably have these ingredients.
This is a fairly loose recipe but I'll give you a run down on how to, and then you should take it to where ever you like. This after all, is the point because it's an idea for serving something delicious at very short notice. It's an idea thats supposed to make you look like a brilliant effortless entertainer. Then while you are throwing together a quick main course you can leave them nibbling on this cheese plate thingy...just add crackers....or toasted Lebanese bread chips. Have I ever told you how to make them.?...we must do that.
One thing I do advise though is that you use a very creamy piece of Danish feta. If you found there was suddenly a Feta strike in your supermarket you could use a fresh ricotta.
Feta Cheese "dip" tomato, chilli and herbs
My Kitchen Stories: Tania Cusack
- ¼ red onion ( or ¼ cup) very finely diced
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar( fine)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chopped chilli
- 1 small tomato ( very finely diced)
- 1 small long red pepper/capsicum or ½ a red capsicum ( very finely diced)
- ½ cup black olives ( with or without seeds)
- ½ cup olive oil ( a strong punchy one)
- 1 /2 tsp smoked paprika
- Chopped soft herbs- ¼ cup fennel tops, parsley, basil
- A grind or two of pepper
- 1 x 250gm block of creamy Danish feta
- Mix the first 4 ingredients -lemon,onion,sugar and salt. Stand till the other ingredients are ready. This "cooks" the onion.
- Mix all of the other finely diced ingredients together, then add the onion mix.
- Stir and taste . Add more onion, salt and pepper or chilli.
- Open the cheese and put onto a dish . Spoon the salsa over the cheese.
- Cut a couple of Lebanese bread rounds into pieces (approx 5-6 cm). Put a1/2 cup of olive oil into a bowl with a teaspoon salt, fresh pepper, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika. Toss the bread in this mix and then lay onto lined trays and bake till starting to colour. Cool and use with this cheese dip.