Strawberry Meringue Ice Cream Sandwiches with chocolate and strawberry salad
When strawberries are cheap and the weather is warm I like to make these Strawberry Jelly Meringues with no churn Vanilla Ice cream. They make the perfect Ice cream sandwich. Serve them to a crowd . It’s a completely make ahead dessert and perfect for Barbeques and outdoor times because they are hand held.
So here is a recipe that you can tuck away for a summer weekend. The meringue will surprise you, it is quite versitile and tastes a bit like a cheats version of freeze dried strawberries. The delicious Vanilla Semi freddo or ice cream is made without a machine. make it, freeze it then go back and cut out the rounds and refreeze for serving. all ready to go in a flash.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 x 26 gm packets of low sugar/ sugar free jelly (52 gm approx) or just under 2 ounces)
- 6 Tablespoons of sugar
- 4 large eggs ( if very small use 6)
- 200 gm cater sugar (1 cup)
- 80 ml water (4 tablespoons)
- ½ vanilla bean
- 600 ml cream beaten to soft peak
- ½ cup chocolate sauce ( your favourite or home made)
- berries ( in season)
- You will need a lined baking tray ( for the meringue) and a deep baking tray and circle cutter or muffin tin for the ice cream. oven 100 C / 210 F
- Mix the jelly crystals and sugar in a bowl and set aside
- Using a clean bowl, on a stand mixer, beat the egg whites till soft peak. Gradually add the sugar mixture a bit at a time letting the sugar dissolve between each addition until the mixture is glossy and firm like pink shaving foam.
- Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe into individual circles keeping even and flat. I draw a circle onto the paper so that I make a perfect circle.
- Bake at 120 degrees for about 1½ hours.(check by touching, they should be firm but not quite finished) Turn off the oven and leave till cool.
- Beat the cream to soft peak put into a medium sized bowl and refrigerate till later
- Clean the bowl and add the eggs . Beat till the eggs are tripled in volume and are light and fluffy
- Meanwhile , put the sugar split vanilla pod and the water into a small pot and melt. Let the mixture come to the boil without reducing. Remove the vanilla and gradually add the syrup to the eggs while beating. Keep beating till the eggs are cool. The mixture will be glossy and light .
- Fold the eggs ½ at a time gradually into the cream.
- Spread onto a tray 5-6cm deep or a muffin tin. Freeze overnight (or a loaf tin if you prefer)
- Tip the ice cream onto a bench on a piece of parchment and cut out rounds with a round cutter and refreeze as you go or Release from the muffin tin (sit the base on a warm cloth and run a hot knife around the diameter before turning out. You can make the little rounds ahead of time and refreeze till you need them.
- Serve sandwiched with the meringue just before you serve with chocolate sauce & strawberries
Here are some of the cakes I made this week