I know everyone is crazy about Italian cooking and that everyone has these simple ingredients in the cupboard, so it was obvious that this Italian Chicken cooked in one pot would be just what you wanted.
This keeps the pasta lover in my house very happy.
Yes I know it isn’t a pasta dish, but that is what we serve with this chicken…pasta. A side of Spaghetti, Penne, Zitti or any other pasta is just fine for my little carb lover and I just eat mine with salad.
That right there, is the beauty of this chicken dish. It’s cooked in one pot and comes out as a complete meal if you have some salad greens, but it also transforms into an Italian flavoured feast if you add grated Parmesan and some pasta.
Its not always easy making dinner, lets be honest. It’s often made for the disinterested by a tired person ( that can also be disinterested). I have those days too and my one pot chicken recipes are for days when no thinking is preferred and something comforting is required.
You can dress them up or down. Right now you are probably thinking what does she even mean by that?.
It means, if you want to make it look fancy take the chicken from the pot and put it on a platter with sauce and sprigs of herbs, whole or cutup. I just stick the whole pot on the table……(creates greed in people and they finish it all).
Make this recipe with chicken pieces too!
One thing I haven’t emphasised when sharing these one pot chicken recipes is that they can be also made with chicken pieces, bone in and skin on makes the best crispy delicious chicken, but if you prefer to go with boneless thighs, all of the One Pot Chicken recipes will work.
I would never go so far as to suggest breast fillet because they result in something that is just too dry and possibly tough.
You can also put the chicken in a BBQ proof dish and put it into a BBQ. Do you have one where you can close the lid and monitor the temperature?. Cause if you do you can cook outside and keep the kitchen cool. Make sure the temperature stays below 200 C / 400 F or it will cook too quickly.
At any rate, a whole baked chicken cooked in one pot gives you about an hour and a bit to consider just what you’d like to eat with it.
Last minute hints
So, some last words of encouragement. I have added a touch of cream to my sauce. This is because the Italian lover prefers his sauce with a touch of the pink. It masks a bit of the acid in the sauce smoothing it out and making it a bit more luxurious. If you dont like cream… don’t add it. You could add a spoon of dijon mustard for extra flavour and creaminess.
Add any herbs you like. Try Rosemary and or lots more parsley. Add more capsicum or even some cooked white beans (a drained can of butter or cannellini beans will do the trick). Add them into the sauce before you add the chicken and then bake. This is as changeable as whatever you have in the cupboard.
- 1.6 kg Chicken 1 pc
- 200 gm onion diced
- 1 red capsicum chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Oregano dried or a bunch of fresh chopped
- 200 ml stock chicken is best
- 500 ml tomato passata puree
- 125 ml cream
- salt and pepper
- 80 ml olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F
- Take the chicken out off the packets and pat dry. Use half of the oil to rub it over the chicken and then sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Heat a deep pot big enough to fit the chicken and sauce into. Add the rest of the olive oil and then the onion. cook till getting soft then add the garlic and oregano and parsley. Stir well till softened
- Add the white wine and stir till it bubbles.
- Add the stock, tomato passata and cream, season with salt and pepper and stir well.
- Put the chicken into the pot and put it into the oven
- Bake for 1 1/4 and up to 1 1/2 hours. If you have a fan forced oven, check your chicken after 1 hour by putting a fork gently into the inside of the thigh.
- Serve the chicken with pasta or with salad and bread
You could also add peas or add spinach at the end.
Also try: One Pot Mexican chicken
One Pot Chermoula Chicken
One Pot Coconut Roast Chicken