With lots of Marshmallows still hanging around after making tiny teacups, I found the perfect solution. Not only is this tart easy to make, it is an ideal dessert that can be made a day or two before you need it. To be honest, I was also trying to find a fullproof dessert for my sister, who is dessertmentally challenged when entertaining.
This tart was adapted from a recipe by Valli Little. I have doubled the gold stars by also making it with gluten free amaretti biscuits, but that’s your choice.
- 300 gm amaretti biscuits (traditional or gluten free)
- 120 gm melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup of milk (250ml)
- 200 gm white marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons cointreau
- 2 tablespoons very fine orange zest
- 150 ml thickened cream
- 200 gm dark chocolate, not milk chocolate
- 50 gm toasted slivered almonds ( can also use sliced or chopped)
- Using a food processor whizz the amaretti biscuits till crushed and add butter and mix till combined
- Press into the base of your tart case, evenly over the bottom and up the sides. Bake the tart case until golden and slightly puffed up. Approx 5- 10 minutes depending on the amaretti used (gluten free take longer to brown up). Cool. I press ever so gently around the edges with a teaspoon where the crumbs have risen, making more room for filling. You must do this when it is hot or the crust will crack.
- Combine milk, marshmallows and orange zest in a saucpan over low heat. Watch it, stirring occasionally. When melted , add the coffee and cointreau and stir well. Cool
- In the meantime melt 150 ml of the chocolate, in a bowl in the microwave or over a pot of simmering water. Gently spread this chocolate over the base of the tart, no need for it to be perfect or spread right to the sides. cool.
- Pour the marshmallow filling into the tart case and chill ( not you chef, the tart)
- , put into the fridge for 2 or more hours.
- When you want to finish it, scatter with roasted nuts. Melt the remaining chocolate in a bowl and drizzle it over the tart with a spoon. Serve this with marshmallows if you like and chocolate or orange cream