I don’t tell anyone this is a Chocolate Zucchini Cake till they have said how much they love it. That way those people that don’t like hidden goodness can’t complain. Oh Yeah, it’s gluten free too.
This is my favourite cake lately. Chocolate Zucchini Cake.
It’s kind of my go to health food.
Ha, had you there. Of course it isn’t health food but it has an unusual amount of vegetables in it. It’s full of fibre as well as chocolate.
There is one thing for sure. If I am going to eat cake it is going to be lush and hard to resist because I don’t eat cake everyday. There’s room for decadence.
This Chocolate Zucchini Cake is one of those amazingly easy stir together in one bowl cakes. The two cakes are cut in half to make four layers and then filled with the best buttercream in the world. If splitting cakes in half isn’t your thing then don’t do it because it will taste just as good as a single layer cake with chocolate ganache. It is just that good. Make it for someone special (and eat it with them).
- 550 gm Zucchinis grated (3- 4 )- 19.4 oz
- 400 gm caster sugar - 14.10oz
- 4 eggs
- 125 ml olive oil / 4.22 fl oz
- 125 ml milk / 4.22 fl oz
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 120 gm dutch cocoa ( approx 1½ cups / 4.23 oz)
- 200 gm almond meal / 7.05 oz
- 120 gm gluten free flour / 4.23 oz
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 250 gm very soft unsalted butter -8.oz
- 250 gm very soft cream cheese - 8 oz
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups ( 200 gm ) icing sugar ( either pure or gluten free mixture) -7 oz
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Trim and grate the zucchini on the large side of a grater. This will make about two packed cups.
- Mix the eggs, oil, vanilla, and milk well. Then mix in the sugar.
- You'll need a large bowl. Sift the cocoa into the bowl. Add the gluten free flour, almond meal, salt and baking powder. Whisk together.
- Put the zucchini and the egg mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and then mix well till combined.
- Pour the mixture into the two prepared cake tins and bake for approx 60 minutes. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before running a knife around the inside of the tin and removing. Cool till cold. Refrigerate to cold in hot weather
- Beat the softened butter till light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and vanilla and beat till fluffy again. Add the sugar ½ cup at a time incorporating well before adding more.
- Once made this can be used straight away or refrigerated till needed. Bring back to room temperate before using.
Heat the cream and pour over the chocolate and stir till melted.
Get the recipe for perfect Buttercream Frosting here and watch the video too!