“I’d just like a cookie that is so big it would take me all day to eat it”, said my friend Sally. I looked at her and realised that she really meant it. Sally can eat more cake, cookies and pastry than anybody I have ever met. Her house is the ideal place to deliver excess baking of any kind. That is where these giant cookies have found a home. Sally has been very down lately and I wanted to surprise her with these giant skillet cookies. “Skillet” or frypan baking has been quite the trend for a while, especially in the US, where cookies are an addiction. You’ll find all sorts of Giant Skillet Cookies are served in restaurants there.
There are no end of flavours you can make. Add fruit or any kind of nuts. Keep them as simple as the chocolate chip one above or have a little play like the chocolate hazelnut one.
SABH is a monthly blog “get together ” where people cook along the same theme. This month it’s frypan cooking. I am sure there will be lots of interesting ideas , so why not take a little look at what others are whipping up.
- 1x oven proof skillet or frypan 10in or 24cm. Pre- heat the oven to 180C/ 350F
- 125gm ( 1 stick) of butter
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of caster sugar ( granulated sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon bi carbonate of soda
- 1 cup of chocolate chips ( or chopped chocolate)
- Put the skillet onto the stove top and add chopped butter. Leave over a medium heat till the butter has only just melted. Turn off the heat
- Add the two sugars and vanilla to the frypan and stir well.
- Crack the egg into a cup and break up with a fork and stir into the sugar butter mix
- Mix the flour and bi carb together well and add ½ to the frypan stirring well.
- Add the remaining flour and chocolate chips and stir. Flatten down the mixture and add nuts (if using)
- Bake the cookie for 18-20minutes, or until just firm.
- Serve the cookie in the skillet with icecream or wait till it is cool and release onto a plate
Here it is in pictures
Get cracking! Next post:
“Food and more food, George Clooney and my night with 6 Italian Men”