Sweet and Sour Pork Belly rashers baked in one pot
Do you love Pork Belly but aren't confident to cook it? Well, this Sweet and Sour Pork Belly is baked in sauce in a tray and is both easy and totally gives you the luscious taste of soft Pork Belly. Plus its tray baked means you put it in the oven and come back when it is done
- 80 ml sweet soy sauce ketchup manis about 4 tablespoons
- 100 ml soy sauce light premium almost 1/2 cup
- 60 ml sweet chilli sauce Thai style 3 Tablsp
- 100 gm brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated ginger peeled and finely grated
- 1 bunch coriander chopped very fresh as possible with roots
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric fresh grated **optional
- 400 gm pineapple chunks in natural juice is best
- 150 gm brown onion chopped into fingers (1 onion)
- 1 kg pork rashers or approximately 6 to 8
Cucumber and Carrot Salad
- 200 gm carrot or about 2 large, grated
- 250 gm Lebanese cucumber or 2 large, quartered and sliced
- 2 sprigs coriander fresh chopped
- 12 leaves mint chopped in threes
- 30 gm sugar caster or 2 Tablespoon, more if you like
- 80 ml rice wine vinegar 4 tablespoons ( approx 1/3 cup)
- 40 ml fish sauce or light soy, 2 tablespoon
- 40 ml lemon juice 2 tablespoon (1/2 lemon)
You will need a baking tray or le Cruiset dish approx 24 cm x 13. Set the oven to 190 C
Mix the sweet soy, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, brown sugar, garlic, grated ginger, the chopped stems and roots of coriander and the pineapple chunks and juice. Stir well. Taste and add salt if necessary. You may need a good pinch.
Add the pork rashers to the marinade. This can be marinated overnight if you like, otherwise go on.
Put the chopped onions into the baking dish and lay the rashers over the top. Tip all the contents of the marinade into the tray
Bake for 1 -1/2 and hours depending on the Pork used
Cucumber and Carrot salad
Make the dressing by mixing all of the ingredients together. Stir well or use a jar to shake up the ingredients and set aside
Cut the cucumbers into fine rounds. Put into a bowl
Grate the carrots and add to the cucumbers
Pick the leaves from the coriander and mix it into the salad.
Cut the leaves into three and add to the salad. When ready to serve add the dressing and toss
If the Pork rashers are extra meaty (with less fat) they will take another 30 minutes or so before they are fork tender.
The dish doesn't need to be covered. The Sweet and sour will become golden and coloured in the last 20 minutes or so of baking.
Fan forced ovens have a 5 --10 degree higher temperature than a standard oven and you should watch the dry heat and temperature of this sort of oven. The temperature can be rduced in the last 20 minutes if it is colouring and drying out too fast.
There is enough sauce left in the dish to spoon it over the rashers when the dish is cooked
Serve the Pork with rice and Cucumber Salad.
You can add fine chopped spanisg onion or shallots to the salad if you like these