Tuna Cakes, Preserved Lemon and Whipped Feta
These make great party food or starters
- 250 gm cooked mashed potato cooled 8.81 oz
- 2 x 1/4s preserved lemons cleaned
- 2 small eggs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 250 gm tuna drained (tunaoil) -
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 small finely diced Spanish onion
- 4 Tablespoon course breadcrumbs or Panko Crumbs
- Crumbs to coat
- 1/4 cup of Dukkah
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 100 gm breadcrumbs 2 cups I used Japanese Panko crumbs
- 250 ml milk beaten with
- 1 Egg
- 150 gm flour for dusting 1 cup
Whipped Feta topping
- 100 gm creamy Danish feta
- 100 gm ricotta
- 80 ml cream or buttermilk 4 Tablespoons
You need 1 bowl and a food processor.
Put 1/2 the potato in to a bowl with 1/2 of the drained Tuna (leave the Tuna in lightly broken up chunks , for texture). Add the parsley, paprika and crumbs.
In the bowl of the food processor add the preserved lemon, egg and remaining tuna and potato and puree. Combine both of the Tuna mixtures and mix well. Add a couple of extra crumbs a tablespoon at a time if the mix is a bit sticky. Don't overdo it.
Shape into patties and chill for an hour or pop into the freezer for 15 minutes,before crumbing
Mix the dukkah, cumin and crumbs . Flour, egg wash and crumb the cakes and chill to set.
before cooking. Meantime
This beetroot salad made of raw beetroot was a big hit. I have several converts who now make this every week. Use nice fresh firm beetroots they're sweeter
Grate the beetroot, and add the mint. In a separate bowl mix the sugar with the hot water to dissolve then add the molasses, oil , salt and till combined. Mix into the beetroot and let stand for several minutes. The combination of the salt and sugar encourage the beetroot to bleed making a very nice dressing.... that is not to be dribbled on clothing!
Deep or shallow fry the cakes till golden. Serve with the beetroot and whipped feta.