il Peposo, A Tuscan Stew
This hearty Tuscan stew is full of the wonderful flavours of black pepper. Serve it with polenta . it makes a great winter dish
- 2 kg beef cheeks cut into 3 cm cubes
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 100 gm carrot cut into 1dice
- 100 gm celery stalks cut into 1dice
- 100 gm red onion cut into 1dice
- 1 Tablespoon ground black pepper heaped freshly
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 litre Chianti
- 500 ml veal stock
- 5 gm salt
Place the cubed beef into a casserole pan with garlic, onion, carrot, celery and just cover the meat with some of the wine.
Bring to a simmer and keep simmering for 2 hours partly covered with a lid.
Add black pepper, tomato paste, bay leaves and the rest of the wine and veal stock. Add 2-3 good pinches of salt and stir. Keep simmering gently uncovered for 2 or more hours until to sauce has reduced and thickened
If the sauce dries out too much or catches add a little extra veal stock. When cooked check the seasoning and add a little more if necessary
Serve this dish with polenta.