Chocolate Date slice
Easy to make and ultra delicious made with dates and chocolate. this recipe uses Australian cup and spoon measurments
- 400 gm dates
- 1 whole lemon zest ZEST
- 375 ml water
- 80 gm chocolate pieces good quality dark
- 150 gm flour 1 cup plain or substitute gluten free flour or nut meal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 185 gm butter diced (6.52 ozes)
- 150 gm coconut desiccated fine
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 120 gm oats rolled, 1 1/2 cups
- 2 Tablespoon cocoa (nice dark cocoa unsweetened)
Set the oven to 180 C/ 350 F
Put the dates and zest into a pot with water and simmer till the water is absorbed or approx 10 minutes. Add the soda . Stir it around to break it up and make it into a paste .Cool a bit before stirring in the chocolate. * The chocolate will melt and you will have a lovely chocolate paste with a secret date twist.
Process flour, sugar and butter into breadcrumbs. Pour into a bowl.
Stir in the coconut & oats . Cut the mixture in half and add the cocoa to that 1/2.
Press one of the 1/2 mixtures into the base of the tin. spread the dates on top and crumble the remaining mixture onto the top . The darker mixture bottom or top it doesn't matter
Bake at 180 Deg (350F ) until golden. Approximately 30 minutes ( or until golden and crunchy)