Chorizo Meatballs with Polenta and Parmesan
Make these meatballs as a canape or party food or make them as part of a starter. This is really more of a recipe idea. Give it a go and see how you can change it to suit your tastes
- 500 gm fresh chorizo ( the soft butcher made kind this is raw like sausage)
- 3 whole sausages fat pork ones
- 2 Tablespoons Parsley chopped
- 200 gm polenta I used organic Buckwheat Polenta but any type will do
- 750 ml water or stock
- 100 gm parmesan cheese grated and some extra for serving
- 5 gm salt and pepper
- 400 gm tomatoes tin of chopped or 2 cups of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 60 ml Olive Oil
Remove the sausages from their skins and put into a bowl with the parsley and mix well. Form into 12 balls.
Brown on all sides in a fry pan in 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Drain on absorbent paper ( they don't need to be cooked all the way through).
Put them back in the fry pan with the extra olive oil, tomato and basil and simmer on low till cooked through.or approximately 6-8 minutes. Season with sea salt and pepper
To cook the polenta. Bring the water (or stock) to a boil in a saucepan. When the water is boiling sprinkle in the polenta stiring or whisking till it is thick.Let it cook on low, leaving to simmer for around an hour. ( if you have instant polenta it will take 1/2 of this time. )
When it is thick and bubbling like lava, add the parmesan and salt and pepper.
Serve this just like mashed potato with the meat balls and sauce and shaved parmesan