Banana Pancakes with Coconut Caramel
Fluffy pancakes and caramel sauce, what could be better? This recipe uses Australian cup measurements
- 2 whole eggs separated
- 20 gram caster sugar 1 tablespoon
- 125 gram flour self raising
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 whole bananas (approx 100 gm each) medium
- 40 ml coconut milk 2 tablespoons
- 30 gram melted butter
- 250 gram dark coconut sugar
- 200 ml coconut cream, kara (or thick unsweetened coconut cream or thickened heavy dairy cream)( 3/4 cup)
- 40 ml lemon Juice 2 Tablespoon
- 80 ml water 4 tablespoons
Roughly chop the sugar and put it into a pot with the water simmering gently and breaking up the sugar with a fork. There maybe some lumps left but add the coconut cream ( or cream) and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sauce bubbles and thickens. it will thicken naturally as it boils. Add 1/2 the lemon juice and taste. Add the rest if you to taste. set aside
Mash the bananas in a bowl ( or puree in a processor). Mix in the sugar, egg yolks, and coconut milk and butter. Combine well then stir in the (well mixed) flour and baking powder, till just combined.
Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl till soft peak and fold gently through the pancake mixture.
Heat a fry pan and cook pancakes in batches, any size you like.
Chill a container of Kara coconut cream. It thickens up when chilled and can be used like whipped cream.