Spice Roasted Cauliflower, Chickpea Salad
This is a delicious salad with all of the elements you need for pleasure. Crunchy, herby and dressed with a lovely spicy dressing. Eat it warm or room temperature and serve with Chicken, Lamb or Fish or just by Itself with Chickpea mayonnaise. It makes enough for a large gathering
- 900 gm cauliflower broken into florettes or 1 large head
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon sumac
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 125 ml olive oil
- 800 gm chickpeas drained- 2 cans
- 2 Tablespoons wholegrain dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 150 gm Spanish onion sliced thinly
- 60 ml lemon Juice 3 Tablespoon
- 40 ml olive oil optional
- 1 cup English Spinach leaves
- 1 cup coriander leaves picked & all the stalk and roots finely chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup pepita seeds roasted green
- 50 gm smoked almonds
- 2 Tablespoons dukkah optional
Take a large bowl and toss the cauliflower pieces with the cumin, salt, sumac, smoked paprika, sesame seeds and olive oil till well coated. Put this onto the prepared tray in batches and roast for approximately half and hour or till nicely browned and scorched. Pour into a bowl big enough to mix all the salad ingredients together, and set aside
Meanwhile prepare the flavour boost.
Put a non stick pan onto the stove and warm it. Add a little oil and the sliced onion. Toss for a minute till just starting to soften. Add the spices and heat through. Add the chickpeas and cook until fragrant.
Turn off the heat and let cool a bit before adding the 3 tablespoons lemon juice, the dijon mustard and the very finely chopped coriander stems.
pour all of this into the cauliflower and mix well. Add the coriander, mint and spinach.
Sprinkle with the roasted seeds and Dukkah ( if using)