One Pot Coconut Roast Chicken
A chicken dish for all seasons. Start it off on the stove top and put it in the oven so dinner is ready when you come back! serve it with rice or salad
- 1.8 kg Chicken whole approx
- 40 ml olive oil
- 400 ml coconut milk 1 can
- 40 ml fish sauce
- 20 ml lemon or lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 cloves garlic sliced or crushed
- 1 piece ginger large sliced knob (2 cm)
- 2 stalks green onion stalks (cleaned quartered)
- 3 whole coriander whole roots and stems cleaned
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 cm cassia bark 1x 2 piece, optional
Set the oven to 180 C / 350 F
Rub the chicken breast with olive oil.
Heat the oven proof dish to high and put the chicken into the dish breast side down for 2-5 minutes or till well coloured.
Turn it over onto it's back and add all the other ingredients making sure they are submerged under the coconut milk
Bake for 1 hour and check if the juices run clear in the leg join. If not bake a further 20 minutes.
The chicken should be golden and cooked all the way through.
Serve with rice or salad