Blood Orange Loaf cake
It's quick and easy to make this in the food processor. in fact it works best as this breaks down the orange peel into the sugar making the flavour deliciously intense
1 x loaf tin 24 x 10 cm (9.5 x 4 inches) lined with baking paper. Oven 170 C / 340 F
- 1 whole orange The peel of one whole
- 125 ml juice blood orange, 1/2 cup
- 200 gm caster sugar 3/4 cup
- 2 whole eggs
- 100 ml olive oil or other veg based oil
- 150 gm almond meal or other nut
- 150 gm gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 tablespoon orange juice
- 140 gm icing sugar mixture make sure it is gluten free
Put the zest and sugar into the food processor and process till the sugar turns orange.
Add the eggs, oil , salt and orange juice and process to combine
Add the nut meal and plain gluten free flour along with the soda. pulse once or twice just to combine.
Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then run a knife around the edge of the tin to loosen. Lift the loaf out of the tin and cool completely.
Put the icing sugar into a bowl and add the 1 tablespoon of juice. Stir well. Add another teaspoon of juice and stir again. if needed add another teaspoon of the juice and stir till smooth.
Spread over the cake and leave to dry.
1. Don't use a Self raising flour here. This will mess up the balance of soda and acid.
2. When making the icing add just a little liquid at a time giving it enough time to hydrate. If the icing has too much liquid in it it won't dry. in fact it will just drip off the cake.
3.To make this loaf without a food processor, zest the orange and then squeeze it . Then mix all the ingredients together.
4.To make the loaf with all purpose flour flow these directions
The zest of 1 orange
125 ml juice
250 gm (1 full cup) of caster sugar
100 ml oil
250 gm plain flour
1 teaspoon bi carb + 1/2 teaspoon salt