Gluten Free Mince Tarts
Wonderful gluten free tarts that aren't too sweet.
Gluten free pastry
- 150 gm rice flour
- 150 gm chickpea flour - besan, you could also use buckwheat flour
- 100 gm almond meal 1 cup
- 4 Tablespoons icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons Xanthan gum
- 160 gm butter cold unsalted chopped
- 2 whole eggs
Fruit Mince Filling
- 2 Granny Smith Apples peeled cored and grated
- 45 gm almonds toasted slivered almonds (1/3 cup)
- 65 gm dried cranberries 1/2 cup
- 55 gm sultanas 1/3 cup
- 3 whole dates fresh pitted and chopped
- 35 gm apricots dried chopped
- 35 gm raisins 1
- 40 gm currants 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 80 ml maple syrup 1/3 cup
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest approx 1 1/2juice
- 60 ml lemon Juice
- 80 gm suet grated vegetable, I used butter
- 2 Tablespoons Marsala or Brandy
- 100 gm icing sugar or powdered for dusting
Place the apple, almonds, cranberries, sultanas, dates, apricots and raisins in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Transfer to a bowl and add the currants, spices, maple syrup, suet ( butter), zest and juice and stir until well combined. Chill overnight
Place the flours, almond meal, icing sugar and xanthan gum in a food processor and whiz to combine.. Add the egg and whiz just till the pastry comes together in a ball. Form into a disc, wrap and chill 15 minutes or overnight. (Just to make sure the butter or suet sets firm and holds the pastry together).
Grease the tin.
Roll out 1/2 the pastry on a floured work surface to 5mm thick. Using a 9 cm (3.5 in) cutter cut out 12 rounds and use these to line the tin.
Roll out the remaining pastry and cut the tops approximately 7 cm (3 in). Spoon the fruit into each hole. Brush the underside of each top with a little water and gently place over the mince filling, pressing the edges to seal. Gather any pastry scraps and re-roll, then cut out shapes to decorate each tart.
Brush tarts with eggwash, then bake 15-18 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp.
Cool 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely if not serving immediately
Dust the tarts with icing sugar, if using, and serve warm or at room temperature