Tomato Bocconcini Salad with delicious crunchy bits
This is a simple salad but it is perfect with grilled meat. if you really don't want to cook it's also great with BBQ chicken. That extra crunchy bits make it all the better.
- 2 cups bread cubed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 gm cherry bocconcini halved drained
- 500 gm cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 bunch of basil picked
- 1/2 bunch chives chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 50 gm pepita seeds
- 50 gm chopped almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of white balsamic or similar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
Set the oven to 170 C / 340 F
Cut the bread into cubes and pour into a bowl. Add the pepita seeds and the rough chopped almonds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss through the olive oil. Spread the mixture onto a tray and bake till golden and toasty. Approximately 10-15 minutes. Cool
In another bowl place the cut the tomatoes and the Bocconcini. Pick the basil adding it to the bowl with the chives.
Add all the salad ingredients into a jar and shake. Taste. Salt and enough vinegar will balance the dressing.
When ready to serve add the dressing and half of the crunchy mixture. When you serve the salad add more crunchy bits to the top.