This is a warm delicious salad – Zucchini, Barley, Chorizo Salad, you can make on the BBQ while you are waiting…..
Zucchini, Barley and Chorizo Salad
I just can’t seem to use up all of the ingredients I have in my pantry before there is one of those pantry raids. All of a sudden I look up and there are moths flying around the fluorescent light and I know I have got marauders in the cupboard again. You can look at it in a number of ways, they are annoying and if you dont watch out they flutter off to your wardrobe and nibble on your tea shirts. On the other hand it probably means that the food in my cupboards hasn’t been blitzed with so many chemicals that there is still something good in the food for bugs to eat!
I have a lot of the dry goods in my cupboard from Italy and they are organic and non heat treated (pastas, grains and polentas). I cooked a whole packet of barley and have been using it in all kinds of dishes. However, you can use any Barley at all. This salad is nutty and mixes very nicely with barbecued vegetables and meats.
A couple of the elements are BBQ’d then added to the rest of the ingredients making a lovely warm salad. Most of it can be made ahead, then the rest finished off right there at the BBQ. It could be one of your last BBQ efforts for the season if you are saying goodbye to summer, but for you over there….dreaming of spring this is for you x
Warm Zucchini, Barley, Chorizo Salad
- 1/4 piece preserved lemon rind chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 60 ml olive oil 3 Tablespoons
- 40 ml lemon Juice 2 tablespoons
- 20 ml balsamic 1 Tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups barley cooked
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1 large Zucchini or 2 medium ones sliced into rings
- 125 gm tomatoes 1/2'd mixed cherry, 1/2'd
- 1 chorizo sausage sliced into rings
- 50 gm Goat cheese or feta
- 1/4 bunch chives chopped
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a bowl: preserved lemon, smoked paprika, olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic, sugar and salt. Using a whisk or a fork, whisk the dressing together well till emulsified then mix in the barley and set aside. Add the olives cut tomatoes and chives. don't stir in just leave till later.
- Toss the zucchini and sliced chorizo in a little olive oil and sear on the BBQ. Add these to the salad bowl and toss gently.
- Put onto a platter or into a bowl and break cheese over the top