This Tortilla Chicken Lasagne / Pie looks good doesn’t it? It is or rather was.
I am sure one of these has been made somewhere sometime, but I got the idea from Skater. I asked him what he wanted for dinner. He said Tortillas ..Oh no wait, maybe pie. Can I have a Tortilla Pie?
Of course you can . I love a challenge.
To be honest it is pretty easy. There are several of steps but you really can’t go wrong. It requires a couple of really Mexican style ingredients to make it extra special. One of those is Achiote seasoning. It has colour and taste and I love it with chicken but also use it in other Mexican dishes. This can be sourced in some delis or online. ( mine comes from Fiji market in Newtown -if you are in Sydney) There is also a little chipotle chilli in adobo sauce in here. Just a touch as Skater doesn’t love chilli , he’ll just tolerate a little but the flavour of these chillies is really a must. You can find these in IGA stores, delis or on line.
The thing he really loved are the steamed ears of corn smothered in homemade lime mayonnaise and sprinkled with smoked paprika. Don’t skip the smoked paprika.
- 1 packet tortillas packet 8 flour or corn tortillas x 8' or 20cm
- 500 gm chicken thigh fillet chopped into small pieces
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika available at delis and food stores
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 400 gm black beans (black turtle beans- any size drained)1 can
- 20 gm achiote paste * - 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chilli approx 2 Tablespoons
- 3 rashes of bacon chopped and some sauce, approx 1 cup
- 750 ml tomato passata puree, approx 3 cups
- 250 gm Cheese Grated however much you want but set some cheese aside for the top.
- 125 ml cream (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups tomato passata
- 3 ears corn cut1/2 (1x 1/2 corn ear per person)
- 150 gm Cheese fine grated ( the smallest grate on your grater)1 extra cup
- 125 gm lime mayonnaise 1/2
- 1 tsp smoked paprika for sprinkling
The tomato sauce doesn't need to be reduced right down or you will not have enough sauce for the 9 layers.
Just a bit of sauce on each layer is enough.
Don't skip the cheese between layers
The tomato cream sauce should be reduced enough so that it becomes easy to pour over the top of the pie and stay there.
Don't forget to set aside cheese for the top
You can put as much cheese into the lasagne as you like. you could also use other cheeses in between the layers like Farmers cheese, ricotta, feta, mozzarella or anything else you fancy
You can buy mayonnaise and add a bit of lime juice or zest to it
Achiote looks like an orange stock cube and can be reconstituted in the same way