Delicious Tiny Goat Curd, Quince Marzipan Pies
Pies are one of my favourite foods. Particularly apple pie, but give me any pie and I’d be happy.
This little free form pie is made with quince and marzipan, an almond paste. If you don’t have almond paste or don’t like it, you could skip it but it really adds is a beautiful flavour here.
I would serve this as a cheese course or afternoon snack. It has Goat Curd cheese, quince and almond, a classic combination and great savoury sweet mixture.
If you cant find goats curd use ricotta.
If Quinces aren’t in season use another poached fruit such as Peaches, Apples, Apricots or Plums or you could play with Pear and Cheddar cheese.
Tiny Goat Curd, Quince Marzipan Pies
- 200 gm plain flour 7oz
- 30 gm caster sugar 1½ tablespoons
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 100 gm butter cold,cut into cubes (3.5oz)
- 60 ml iced water 3 Tablespoons or less
- 100 gm Marzipan almond paste,
- 125 gm Goats Curd Woodside / meredith,
- 1 whole quince Cooked approximately ¼ per tart
- 1 whole Egg beaten
- 30 gm caster sugar 2 tablespoons
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C (350 F)
Preparing the pastry
- Put the butter, sugar, flour and baking powder into a food processor and
- process unitl it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add the water and process until the dough just comes together in a ball.
- Turn onto a floured bench and form into a smooth ball.
- Wrap and rest in the fridge for half an hour.
Making the Tarts
- Cut pastry dough into 16 even lumps, one for each of the top and bottom of the eight tarts.
- Roll the bottom of your tarts out approx. 8 cm (3 in) round, as thinly as possible. Then the tops approx. 6 cm round.
- Press a walnut sized piece of marzipan out into your hand, then place it in the centre of the pastry bottom. Top with a tablespoon of goat curd and a small piece of quince ( 1/4 or smaller - to fit the pastry).
- Repeat the process for all eight pastry bottoms.
- Hold the pastry bottom in your hand and push the sides upwards, as if making a pie without the pie dish.
- Holding the pastry in one hand, paint the edges with beaten egg and press the top circle onto or over the top of the top of the pastry bottom. Place onto the baking tray and paint the top with beaten egg then sprinkle with sugar. Repeat process for all eight tarts. Rest tarts in the fridge for an half an hour before baking.
- Bake until lightly golden brown.
Goat curd , delicious light goat cheese. Whats your favourite goat cheese?
If you haven’t cooked quince look here