Here’s how to make a delicious Semifreddo No Churn Icecream
What about some Semifreddo ? The ice cream you can have when you dont have an ice cream machine. Its simple and can be served with anything you like. Chocolate, fruit nuts or praline. The one above is a very special flavour. It’s made with Sicilian almond paste. This paste is smooth as butter, and contains no sugar. With cherries it is the flavour of European Christmas. I poached the cherries in beautiful Organic Rabbit Hole Chai Tea, containing impressive whole spices of cardamom, star anise, cinnamon ginger and fair trade black tea.
How beautiful is this plate ? There’s a whole set of these at Beclau. The hand painted art work seems to go hand in hand with the cherries and a Christmas theme.
If you dont like the flavour of Almond, I’ve also made it with Pistachio nut paste too. The recipe is exactly the same as the Almond one, but it has raspberries and chocolate sauce. You can make nut paste if you have a good blender, something like a Vita Mix will make very quick work of a it. If you really dont like nuts, then hey, you can use fruit ( I’ll include the alternative Semifreddo without nuts in the recipe) Pistachio Semifreddo No Churn Icecream with , Raspberries & Chocolate
Semifreddo No Churn Icecream
- 6 whole eggs
- 200 gm caster sugar 1
- 80 ml water 4 Tablespoons
- 1/2 vanilla bean scraped or vanilla extract
- 200 gm nut paste very smooth (almond, pistachio , hazelnut or 1of thick fruit puree) ( 1 cup)
- 400 gm cream ( I use thickened cream for the extra boost of gelatine but whipping cream is fine)
Poached Cherries ( or other spiced fruit)
- 500 ml Chai Tea well brewed Rabbit Hole or similar 2 cups
- 50 gm caster sugar 4 tablespoons
- 40 ml lemon Juice 1/2 lemon
- 300 gm cherries deseeded for easier eating
- 3 tablespoons glucose from the supermarket
- You will need a large loaf tin or round 23 cm / 10 in cake tin lined with baking paper (so it can be released easily)
- Beat the cream till it is thick and spoonable. Put into the fridge till needed
- Put the eggs and vanilla into a bowl and leave to whip on high while you prepare the sugar syrup.
- Put the 200 gm (1 cup) of sugar and 80 ml water into a small pot and stir gently until the sugar is starting to dissolve. Let it come to the boil then take off the heat.
- When the eggs have almost tripled in volume and are thick and cream like, turn down to low and gradually pour the hot sugar syrup in a steady stream down the side of the mixer into the eggs till it is all incorporated. Turn to high and beat till cool. This is the most important part of the ice cream .
- Take a spatula and start to fold through the nut or fruit puree being careful to keep the air in the mixture. Add the cream in two lots. Pour into the mould you have chosen ( I used a loaf tin for one and individual tins for the other)
- Freeze over night
For the cherries
- Put the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar into a pot with the strained tea and bring up to the boil. When it boils turn it off. Add the cherries and put on the lid. Leave for 10 minutes for a lightly poached fruit.
- Remove the cherries from the syrup add the glucose and reduce by 2/3. You will have a shiny syrup that will thicken a little when cold. Add lemon juice to taste .
- Serve your Semi Freddo with extra nuts and fruit.
- I used hard Nougat on one and chocolate on the other
Mixing the eggs , cream and nut paste
If you like My Kitchen Stories why not visit us on Facebook