These salmon and quinoa cakes cook in no time. I love them with cheats sweet and sour.
I love making these Salmon Quinoa Cakes. It’s probably the nicest way to eat quinoa that I know. Its disguised in these delicious Salmon Cakes that have a bit of an Asian flavoured twist.
If you have never seen Salmon mince or ground Salmon you are in for a treat. I made a great Hoisin Salmon Ball soup with it not so long back too. ( picture and link below) the Salmon cooks and fuses together creating this absolutely perfect fish cake. Ask your local fish shop to get you some. It’s made with all the little bits of salmon taken from the tale and portions close to the bone. All this meat used to be wasted so you will be doing the local a favour too. It makes a great stuffing for whole fish or an unusual Larb (a Thai mince dish usually made with chicken or Pork)
I am going to say these might be the easiest and tastiest fish cakes you are ever going to make. Don’t forget to make the quick and easy cheats Sweet and sour vegetables to go with them.
Salmon Quinoa Cakes
- 360 gm quinoa cooked * (2 Aust cups) ******see notes below
- 500 gm raw salmon mince or other fish minced in a food processor
- 1 Tablespoon green curry paste
- 1 Tablespoon ginger fresh grated
- 1 teaspooon caster sugar white
- 20 ml fish sauce 1 Tablespoon
- 1/2 cup coriander clean well chopped leaves stems and roots of coriander
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 pinch salt
Optional Cheats Sweet and Sour vegetables
- 250 gm snow peas
- 150 gm carrot grated
- 40 ml oil 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic crushed
- 100 gm onion small sliced
- 60 ml chicken stock 1/4 cup
- 20 ml tomato sauce 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- 20 ml sweet soy sauce Ketchup manis, 1 Tablespoon
- 15 gm brown sugar 1 Tablespoon
- 1/2 bunch coriander picked
- Add all of the fish cakes ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well. The mixture will not be runny or too loose to hold the patties shape. If it is, add a small amount of breadcrumbs.
- Shape the patties making them the size of hamburger patties. The mixture will easily make 6-8. Prepare a tray with draining paper. Prepare the ingredeints for the quick vegetable dish before you start frying the cakes
- Heat a shallow fry pan with 1 cm of oil and fry till browned on one side , Flip. They will only take a couple of minutes each side. Do not cook too long. They will continue to cook while you make the vegetables.
- Heat another medium fry pan over high heat. Add the oil and onion and toss for 1 minute then add the garlic and ginger. Sauté till fragrant then add the stock, tomato sauce, sugar, sweet soy, and a little salt. Stir well and when it starts to steam and come to the boil add the grated carrot and the snow peas and toss till warm and the peas are only just wilting. Take off the heat and serve. Add some chopped coriander.
- Serve with rice or just by itself.
If you like the idea of this try my Salmon Hoisin Meatballs in Asian broth. It makes an even quicker dinner. I am sure there are endless ways to use Salmon mince. Let me know if you come up with a few more.