I know that at this time of the year the U.S goes Pumpkin mad.
Pumpkin in pies, muffins, pancakes , scones , cookies and pancakes, if you didn’t love it you’d be quite sick of it by now, I would imagine. I personally can’t get enough pumpkin but we here in Australia, rarely use it in cakes or brownies or cookies, we have a different relationship with it. We eat it roasted, mashed or steamed as a vegetable or in soups and salads. We have a love affair with it in a different way and mostly all year round.
I am not trying to jump on the Pumpkin bandwagon I just bought an extra-large whole pumpkin and really needed to use it up. That’s why I made this Roasted Pumpkin Hommus. I truly love it , which is good because I am the only one that lives here who does. I have had it in wraps and under fish beside chicken and as a dip.
I served it with a spicy tuna steak and most successfully I slathered some on a big platter to make a salad. I added some Roasted Pumpkin pieces, chopped tomato, toasted pepita seeds, feta and dressed rocket. (sorry no picture we ate it all). Don’t forget this makes a wonderful dip. Stick it in the middle of the table with some crackers or vegetables for a starter.
Roasted Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Tuna
- 250 gm roasted pumpkin Peel and roast after tossing in olive oil and salt and pepper. If you bake extra you can use them as a nice garnish for a fresh chunky look.
- 400 gm chickpeas drained (1 can)
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 80 ml lemon juice ( approx 1 lemon 4 Tablespoons )
- 1 clove garlic or more if you like
- 120 ml olive oil ( approx 1/4 cup and extra 6 Tablespoons )
- extra water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tuna steaks I cut mine in 1/2
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered chilli optional
- 20 ml olive oil 1 tablespoon
- olive oil
- toasted pepita seeds