Red Velvet Panda Cake
2 weeks ago a bride sent me an email asking if I would make her a wedding cake. She was having a small wedding and had only just decided to have a cake. Well maybe she was talked into having a cake. Regardless of how it came about she asked me if I would sculpt her a Panda playing a Ukulele. Of course I said no.
Her husband to be is a wonderful musician who plays drums and Ukulele and she just loves Pandas. I am not experienced enough to be sculpting Pandas playing Ukulele’s for a wedding and I didn’t want to see her cakeless, I just love an unusual notion, so I got cracking on an alternative. I was busy on another project during the week so I asked her to send me a picture she liked and I had it made into a sugar image at Cake decorating Solutions in Roseberry.
This is a 6 layered red velvet cake because the colours of the flowers and the table decorations were a berry shade. We didn’t want it to be too sweet so I made quite an unusual recipe for a red velvet cake. The layers are separated with raspberry buttercream and then covered in a vanilla cream cheese icing, I wish I could show you the inside.
Red Velvet Panda cake
- 400 gram caster sugar 2 cups
- 310 ml vegetable oil 1 1/4 cups
- 4 whole eggs x large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons of nutmeg
- 600 gram plain flour 4 cups
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 800 cups gm pie apples pureed or 3of unsweetened apple puree, 1 tin apple slices pureed
- 2 tablespoons red colouring (use a paste Queen brand is Not a liquid)
- 1 teaspoon blue colouring
Raspberry buttercream filling
- 500 gram butter
- 500 gram pure icing sugar 3 cups
- 85 gram raspberry jelly 1 packet
- 200 gram raspberries, frozen thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream cheese icing
- 250 gram cream cheese
- 200 gram unsalted butter
- 1 vanilla bean scrapped
- 260 gram pure icing sugar (2 cups 2 cups sifted
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- This cake was made in a 30x30x30 cake tin in 3 layers cut in half. I made this recipe 3 x times for this cake. Oven preheated to 185 degrees / 350 F
- Beat the eggs and sugar till light and aerated. Add the oil and beat more until light in colour.
- Add the apple puree, vanilla, spices and sifted dry ingredients and mix well. Add the red colouring a spoon at a time until you get the colour you would like. It will be an orangey colour that will be corrected to brighter red with a little addition of blue.
- Pour into a greased and lined tin and bake for approximately 40-60 minutes.
- Beat the softened butter till light and fluffy. Add the jelly crystals, vanilla, thawed raspberries and beat in 1 cup of sugar at a time.Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt at a time till you have a fluffy buttercream that isn't too sweet .
- Once the cake is baked and cooled slice and layer with the raspberry buttercream filling.
- Chill for 1 hour. While making the cream cheese icing.
- Beat the softened butter till light and aerated then add the cream cheese and vanilla bean and continue beating till well combined. Add the lemon zest and continue beating and adding icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time along with 1/4 teaspoon of salt till you have nice white icing. Yes beating is the secret ...
- Spread this onto the out side of the cake smoothing with a palette knife. Chill for several hours or over night before decorating any way you like.