Yes I know, porridge. I really am not trying to invent the wheel and I am not trying to be smart, I just want you to know that this was delicious.
There are around 60 days of chilly weather ahead and some cracking strawberries coming into season. So you will have time to try this. Look away if you are lucky enough to be in amongst beautiful summer weather, because here, in southern Australia, we have porridge weather. Strawberries were so cheap this week I was brazen enough to poach them in some maple syrup to eat with the organic oats I had in the cupboard from Kialla Pure Foods, in Queensland. It really makes a difference to use lovely oats. Processed porridge in little sachets is definitely not worth eating. Am I lecturing you? Sorry.
Any way. Just in case you need some breakfast inspiration, I’ve got it here. You could try making these oats with raspberries or bananas if you wanted. I added apricots and some crunchy muesli bits with nuts.
Poached Strawberries with Oats and Maple syrup
- 250 gm strawberries cut in half. 1 punnet
- 80 ml maple syrup 1/4 cup
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 250 ml milk 1 cup
- 625 ml water 2 1/2 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole apricots split in half
- 1/2 cup muesli crunchy with nuts
- Put the oats and water and milk into a pot and bring up to boil. Turn down immediately and simmer on low till the oats are softened and the water has evaporated.Turn off and put on a lid and sit for a couple of minutes.
- Put the strawberries in a bowl with the maple syrup and heat for 1 minute. This should be long enough for the strawberries to be softened and warm. If not, heat them at 1/2 minute increments till soft. This could also be done on the stovetop in a pot.
- If the porridge is too thick and a little extra milk and warm through. Serve with the strawberries in maple syrup and crunchy muesli on top.
Maybe breakfast isn’t your oat thing. What about this great Muesli slice from the archives?