This One Pot Mexican Chicken is one of my new favourites. Easy, quick and packed with spicy flavour it is great with rice, wrapped in Tortillas or with Avocado Salad.
I have taken to these one pot chicken dishes with enthusiasm and it seems that lots of you have too judging by the emails I have received from you. I am so glad you love them too!.
I’ve called this one Oven Baked Mexican Chicken because it’s full of cumin, lime and blackbeans. I’ve discovered it’s a great way to have enough food hanging around for a couple of days. In other words this type of hot pot Chicken makes several meals and I love that.
Black beans are not strictly Mexican they are used all over south and central America and they are one of my most favourite ingredients. A dark sultry blackbean soup recipe I learned to make from one of my Cuban kitchen staff when I lived in Miami for a while is everything you want in a soup. I will have to share the recipe with you one of these days soon. They are so wonderful in salsas with loads of lime juice, red onion and coriander (cilantro) match with avocados and almost any type of protein including eggs and this chicken of course. They give it body and texture making sure that the tomato is toned down and the spice element dialled up. You need to add jalapeno peppers to taste after this is cooked.
You can find them in the “Mexican” section at your supermarket. They are hot and come in a liquid that is perfect for adding to slow baked things like this chicken. The liquid will not only add heat but the most amazing piquancy that will lift this dish and any other fresh salsa or sauce you make to the next level. And that my friends is where you always want to be …on the next level. Yeeha !
Now, you can serve this Mexican Chicken as is, portioned into 4 or 6 and serve with rice and even cheese or sour cream if you like, BUT you can also get rid of the bones and roll it with some of that rice, avocado, sauce and jalapenos and cheese into Tortillas. Wrap in foil and heat in the oven till the cheese is melted ( about 15-20 minutes) and you have the best burritos in town.
- 1.6 kg Chicken Whole
- 100 ml olive oil
- 150 gm onion diced
- 1 1/2 cup red capsicum medium diced
- 2 tablespoons cumin ground
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon double for fresh
- 1 teaspoon Oregano dried,
- 1 teaspoon Thyme dried( double for fresh)
- 1 teaspoon coriander dried ground
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 bunch coriander chopped stems and roots of a bunch of coriander washed well.
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or lime juice, not sweetened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 400 ml tin tomatoes chopped
- 400 gm black beans one tin don't drain (keep the water)
- 1/ 2 bunch coriander leaves
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes 1/2'd
- tablespoons jalapeno chillies plus 2of the juice
- 1 whole Avocado sliced
- Unwrap and drain the chicken. set the oven to 180 C / 350 F
- Heat a heavy baker and add the first amount of oil, diced onions and all of the spices. Sweat on medium till fragrant and the onion is softening (add more oil if too dry)
- Add the garlic, capsicum and chopped coriander stems and roots and saute on low 2 minutes then add the the chopped tomatoes. Bring to a simmer
- Add the black beans and their water to the pot along with the vinegar / lime juice and stir well.
- Add the well drained chicken and rub it with the extra oil and sprinkle the chicken with salt rubbing it in to the skin. Sprinkle any excess into the sauce.
- Bake the chicken uncovered for 1- 1 1/2 hours depending on your oven. A fan forced oven will be quicker. Test the chicken after 1 hour by making a small slit into the inside of the leg and body. The juices should run clear. If they don't leave for a further 20 minutes and test again.
- The chicken will be very tender.
- Serve it with Guacamole style avocado, tortillas or just with rice . Add cheese or sour cream and lots of pickled jalapenos and the juice from the jar to spice this up more