Nacho Dogs and other Manly Food is brought to you in collaboration with Serviced Apartments Sydney
I have just spent weeks trying to decide what I might do for holidays this year. It always seems sad that we have to work so hard the whole year for a holiday. What about a break in between all those days? What if you could get on a boat and go overseas for the weekend? In Sydney, you can and that’s what I have in mind here. The Sydney beachside suburb of Manly seems to be the perfect place for a weekend or even a long weekend trip “overseas”. Just so you know, Manly is a half an hour ferry ride from the centre of Sydney but when you arrive at Manly wharf you could be at any beachside holiday destination. It feels like you are in an entirely different city. The cafes and restaurants are a drawcard but so is the beach, the coastal walks and the festivals. See if you can spend a weekend in May when the Taste of Manly is on or in October when The Manly Jazz festival hits the street.
Here are 5 great places to go that have some pretty photogenic and international food in Manly
1. Hemingway’s I got this idea for Nacho Dogs after looking at some of the food here. A snoop around the internet reveals they are quite popular indeed and with very good reason. (They were given the thumbs up at our house) It’s a casual bar with fun childhood favourites reworked. Get the address and read more about Hemingway’s
2. Ora Here the food is everything I want in a cafe, fresh clean and lots choices from veggie offerings to free range meats and dairy products. Ingredients are ethically sourced and mostly organic. Trends?….oh yes. Try the wide range of water kefirs and kombuchas or a turmeric latte!. Or the ‘Ora bowl’. ‘nuf said. Check out Ora
3. Showbox Coffee This is the place for a seriously good coffee and my kind of interesting food. It’s small and just off the main drag but hunt it down at all costs. This is one of the few places in Sydney selling Poke, a popular Hawaiian dish. Maybe you’d like to try their Raw Pad Thai salad with zucchini noodles, poached chicken, peanuts, ginger and fermented cabbage. HERE, now that is a trend.
How to make a Poke Bowl. Video here
4. Jam Town A beach shack themed Jamaican restaurant and bar that specializes in JERK seasoning rub amongst other things. The meat tastes smoky, it’s juicy and soft it’s smoked for hours and then slow roasted. There’s Rum too, about 25 different kinds. They import a number of unusual labels that make for a good excuse to go back lots of times. Check it HERE
5. Papi Chulo Well for a start this is a waterfront restaurant and for once it doesn’t fall into the “we don’t have to make good food because we have a view”. No! The lines will tell you that the food is more than good. It’s a fusion of Canada, Southern America and Asia. Theres share plates cocktails and you can go for lunch and stay for dinner. Go for burgers and Texan brisket, Cuban Sandwiches and pulled Pork and don’t forget there’s oodles of sides. Check it out here HERE (now closed)
Well for a weekend that’s probably enough… for weekends in Manly or hundreds of other accommodation options compare places and prices HERE
Now back to the Nacho Dogs.
You will need: A grill pan to cook the sausages
- 1 packet corn chips nacho cheese corn chips any size
- 6 hot dog rolls
- 100 gm Grated Cheese mozzarella or cheddar or a mix
- 6 sausages hot dogs
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 tablespoons kewpie mayonnaise – or another mayo of your choice
- 400 gm tomatoes 1 can chopped
- 100 gm green capsicum rough chopped
- 6 slices jalapeno chillies
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/4 red onion rough chopped
- 40 ml lemon Juice 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 bunch coriander washed stems,roots. stalks chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large Avocado
- 20 ml lemon Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cummin
- Salsa:. Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and blitz. Leave some texture by not puréeing till smooth.
- Crema: Mix the sour cream and Mayo together. Tip into a small zip lock bag or plain plastic bag and snip a tiny whole in the corner. This can be used to squirt the sauce onto the Dogs.
- Cook the sausages on a grill pan so they taste smoky and get some nice grill marks. these could be done on the BBQ too.
- Guacamole: Squash the avocado with a fork. Stir in the lemon, cumin and salt.
- To put the Dogs together 1/2 the rolls without cutting all the way through. Next, the secret is to crunch up some corn chips and put them into the buns before adding cheese and then hot sausages. Spread a tablespoon of Guacamole on each one, top with salsa and Jalapenos.
- Squirt with Crema and finish with some extra chips on top.